From: Jordan Metzmeier on
> Users having problems with flash plugin on their 64 bits OS can install a
> 32 bits browser and run the 32 bits plugin, which is annoying but it
> should work.

Does this work natively or does it require a chroot?

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I got a bounce back from the first time
I attempted to send this.

--
Jordan Metzmeier

On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:26:21 -0400, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:

>> Users having problems with flash plugin on their 64 bits OS can install
>> a 32 bits browser and run the 32 bits plugin, which is annoying but it
>> should work.
>>

> Does this work natively or does it require a chroot?

Natively... AFAIK, I see two approaches:

1/ Firefox can be downloaded from Mozilla site (and Mozilla does not
provide a 64-bit version for their browser, only 32-bit binaries). Once
downloaded, no need to install anything, just click and run. Then, you
can download the flash plugin (32 bits) and store it under Firefox
plugins folder.

2/ Installing Firefox/Iceweasel standalone in a concrete directory so it
gets no messed with the 64-bits installation and put there the 32-bits
plugins.

In fact, IIRC, the second option was the most used when no flash nor java
plugin was available natively for 64 bits systems.

And last, there is the option you already mentioned, making a chroot
environment and run it from there :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

> 1/ Firefox can be downloaded from Mozilla site (and Mozilla does not
> provide a 64-bit version for their browser, only 32-bit binaries). Once
> downloaded, no need to install anything, just click and run. Then, you
> can download the flash plugin (32 bits) and store it under Firefox
> plugins folder.
>
> 2/ Installing Firefox/Iceweasel standalone in a concrete directory so it
> gets no messed with the 64-bits installation and put there the 32-bits
> plugins.
>
> In fact, IIRC, the second option was the most used when no flash nor java
> plugin was available natively for 64 bits systems.
>
> And last, there is the option you already mentioned, making a chroot
> environment and run it from there :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I use #1 to easily run Thunderbird 3.x on Lenny. I did not realize that
these statically linked binaries could also be used to run 32bit on a amd64
machine.

Thanks for the info!

--
Jordan Metzmeier
From: Kelly Clowers on
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 09:48, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:26:21 -0400, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
>
>>> Users having problems with flash plugin on their 64 bits OS can install
>>> a 32 bits browser and run the 32 bits plugin, which is annoying but it
>>> should work.
>>>

>> Does this work natively or does it require a chroot?
>
> Natively... AFAIK, I see two approaches:
>
> 1/ Firefox can be downloaded from Mozilla site (and Mozilla does not
> provide a 64-bit version for their browser, only 32-bit binaries). Once
> downloaded, no need to install anything, just click and run. Then, you
> can download the flash plugin (32 bits) and store it under Firefox
> plugins folder.

They do provide 64-bit nightly builds, though.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:28:00 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:

>>> Does this work natively or does it require a chroot?
>>
>> Natively... AFAIK, I see two approaches:
>>
>> 1/ Firefox can be downloaded from Mozilla site (and Mozilla does not
>> provide a 64-bit version for their browser, only 32-bit binaries). Once
>> downloaded, no need to install anything, just click and run. Then, you
>> can download the flash plugin (32 bits) and store it under Firefox
>> plugins folder.
>
> They do provide 64-bit nightly builds, though.

That's nice, sure, but if you had been following the thread you would
have noticed that what we were looking for here is a 32 bits firefox ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón