From: Sthu Deus on
Good day.

Is there a way to:

.. boot from internal HDD then

.. chroot or whatever to externel HDD (with the same Debian clone
copy)

.. format the internal HDD,

.. move the OS back from external to internal HDD?

I have to do so because it is impossible for now to boot from CD/USB.
And I want to move from ext3 to ext4.

Thank You for Your time.

On Vi, 09 iul 10, 12:53:55, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day.
>

> Is there a way to:
>
> . boot from internal HDD then
>
> . chroot or whatever to externel HDD (with the same Debian clone
> copy)
>
> . format the internal HDD,
>
> . move the OS back from external to internal HDD?

No. You have to find a way to unmount the partition you want to format.

> I have to do so because it is impossible for now to boot from CD/USB.
> And I want to move from ext3 to ext4.

Make a minimal installation in some space that you can spare temporarily
(ex. swap partion). Make sure that you can access both the old partition
and the external clone. Reformat as needed and clone back your system.

If this suggestion doesn't work for some reason you might want to post
more details about the disks and partitions, so we don't have to guess.

Regards,
Andrei
On Friday 09 July 2010 00:53:55 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Is there a way to:
>
> . boot from internal HDD then
>
> . chroot or whatever to externel HDD (with the same Debian clone
> copy)
>
> . format the internal HDD,

pivot_root is supposed to do this in a way that allows you to umount the old
'/' cleanly. It is used in modern initramfs.

> . move the OS back from external to internal HDD?
>
> I have to do so because it is impossible for now to boot from CD/USB.
> And I want to move from ext3 to ext4.

You can use some of the ext4 features on a existing file system by using
tune2fs to turn them on. That would eliminate the need for a "format" and re-
install.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Tom H on
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> On Friday 09 July 2010 00:53:55 Sthu Deus wrote:
>> Is there a way to:
>>
>> . boot from internal HDD then
>>
>> . chroot or whatever to externel HDD (with the same Debian clone
>> copy)
>>
>> . format the internal HDD,
>
> pivot_root is supposed to do this in a way that allows you to umount the old
> '/' cleanly.  It is used in modern initramfs.
>
>> . move the OS back from external to internal HDD?
>>
>> I have to do so because it is impossible for now to boot from CD/USB.
>> And I want to move from ext3 to ext4.
>
> You can use some of the ext4 features on a existing file system by using
> tune2fs to turn them on.  That would eliminate the need for a "format" and re-
> install.

You can use all of an ext4's features on an ext2/ext3 system / upgrade
an ext2/ext3 filesystem to ext4 with tune2fs.

For example for / (assuming that it is sda1)

init 1
mount -o remount,ro /
fsck.ext2 -pf /dev/sda1
tune2fs -O [has_journal,]large_file,huge_file,extents,dir_index,uninit_bg
/dev/sda1
fsck.ext2 -fD /dev/sda1
init 6

Hi,

Your objective is:

> I have to do so because it is impossible for now to boot from CD/USB.
> And I want to move from ext3 to ext4.

Although pivot_root etc. may be used but that is too fancy...

If I were you, I do the following:

1. boot from internal HDD
2. mount externel HDD and copy your local system there.
3. adjust few parameters in thet copied system so it is bootable and
usable.
4. make your boot loader like grub to boot externel HDD.
5. reboot to externel HDD.
6. partition and format internal HDD.
7. install fresh system to internal HDD using debootstrap etc.

But I really think you have independent way to boot system. You may
make mistake and then you need to have ways to recover.

Anyway, save your personal data first.

Osamu