From: Merciadri Luca on
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2010 13:16:27 Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
>> you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
>> fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
>> previewing, or thumbnails.
>>
>> How can I do to make this process faster?
>>

> Slow to ls? reiserfs, xfs, btrfs, or the dir_index option and hash_alg
> extended option of ext3.
>
> Is the directory fast to ls, but slow to render in a GUI? Problem is likely
> with the GUI.

Sorry, it is only slow to GUI (nautilus).
> How many files?
~25,000.
> It may be better to convert to a "stepped" directory
> structure.
>
> E.g.:
> Instead of:
> /home/abel
> /home/alfred
> /home/ada
> [...]
> /home/zelda
> /home/zola
> /home/zoolander
>
> Use:
> /home/a/abel
> /home/a/alfred
> /home/a/ada
> [...]
> /home/z/zelda
> /home/z/zola
> /home/z/zoolander
> Or: (usually only when names are fixed-length)
> /home/a/bel
> /home/a/lfred
> /home/a/da
> [...]
> /home/z/elda
> /home/z/ola
> /home/z/oolander
>
> I'm most familiar with using this for ASCII names, but it can be converted to
> work with other names. Japanese can use stroke count of the first character
> instead of first character, for example.

Yes. Good idea. I am however astonished that nautilus takes ~30 sec. to
open such a directory.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:16:27 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
> you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
> fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
> previewing, or thumbnails.
>
> How can I do to make this process faster?

Did you also turn off "Count Number of Items" and "Show Text In Icons" in
Nautilus "preview" preferences?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 05/18/2010 02:15 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> On Tuesday 18 May 2010 13:16:27 Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
>>> you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
>>> fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
>>> previewing, or thumbnails.
>>>
>>> How can I do to make this process faster?

Don't use a GUI tool that's designed for small subdirectories.

>> Slow to ls? reiserfs, xfs, btrfs, or the dir_index option and hash_alg
>> extended option of ext3.
>>
>> Is the directory fast to ls, but slow to render in a GUI? Problem is likely
>> with the GUI.
>>
> Sorry, it is only slow to GUI (nautilus).
>> How many files?
> ~25,000.

Don't use Nautilus, or reorganize your directory structure.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?