From: Celejar on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:09:47 -0400
Ed Jabbour <edjabr(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:31:54 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> >> Ed Jabbour <edjabr(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I edited /etc/resolv.conf to add a nameserver, edited
> >> etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to do the same and added the dns to wicd.
> >> However, I keep getting the same old dns from the router, i.e.,
> >> resolv.conf keeps changing to the router's 192 ip. The router does not
> >> allow editing dns. I think this is due to using dhcp. Is there an
> >> alternative which wouldn't cause a default to the router's dns? Any
> >> pointers appreciated.
> >
> >Do 'man dhclient.conf' and look at the prepend and supersede options.
>
> I had already done that. I tried either one and both. I had also already
> done the wicd gui edit. As I said above, my chosen dns doesn't stick, as
> resolv.conf keeps reverting to the router's.

Sorry, I didn't realize what you meant when you said tha you 'edited
dhclient.conf'. Perhaps there's some other utility messing with
resolv.conf, e.g. resolvconf? I'm not really expert at this stuff,
though.

Celejar

Ed Jabbour <edjabr(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:31:54 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
>>> Ed Jabbour <edjabr(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I edited /etc/resolv.conf to add a nameserver, edited
>>> etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to do the same and added the dns to wicd.
>>> However, I keep getting the same old dns from the router, i.e.,
>>> resolv.conf keeps changing to the router's 192 ip. The router does not
>>> allow editing dns. I think this is due to using dhcp. Is there an
>>> alternative which wouldn't cause a default to the router's dns? Any
>>> pointers appreciated.
>>
>>Do 'man dhclient.conf' and look at the prepend and supersede options.
>
> I had already done that. I tried either one and both. I had also already
> done the wicd gui edit. As I said above, my chosen dns doesn't stick, as
> resolv.conf keeps reverting to the router's.

Has the dhclient been restarted since you edited the configuration
file, either manually or through a reboot? I use the prepend- option,
but I assume that it isn't reread automatically so I kill and restart
the client manually when I change the file.

--
Carl Johnson carlj(a)peak.org