From: Lisi on
On Friday 30 April 2010 19:14:51 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 30 April 2010 12:39:36 Lisi wrote:
> > On Friday 30 April 2010 16:44:52 Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> > > The "A" means that it was installed automatically due to a dependency,
> > > so if all packages depending on it are uninstalled, it will
> > > automatically be removed as well.
> >
> > Thanks! I had realised that "i" meant installed, but as large numbers of
> > dependencies get installed automatically as far as I am concerned, I
> > hadn't managed to work out that some of them got marked! Very few things
> > seem actually to acquire the "A".
>
> On my little VM I have 294 packages installed, 277 marked as automatically
> installed.
>
> I find that the more packages are automatically installed, the easier
> upgrades are, since aptitude seems more willing to preform a library
> transition on a "automatically installed" package.
>
> I try to only keep packages I know I am using un-marked.

Boyd -

If I live to be a hundred, I just _might_ achieve your level of knowledge and
competence. Meanwhile, I don't even attempt to emulate you. I just read and
hope to understand you!

Lisi

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 01:14:51PM -0500, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
> I find that the more packages are automatically installed, the easier upgrades
> are, since aptitude seems more willing to preform a library transition on a
> "automatically installed" package.

It is. aptitude is quite liberal about upgrading, downgrading and
removing packages flagged as automatically installed. Manually
installed packages are much more "rigid".

Daniel

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: aptitude stuck