From: Marcos Toro Oyarzo on
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight daemon (I don't
> need anything fancy like cacti) to monitor total bandwidth usage?
>
> Searches turn up quite a few, but many are unmaintained in recent
> years. Maybe they do everything they need to do, but I'd think there
> would be at least some small bug fixes.
>

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

iftop maybe?

iftop does for network usage what top(1) does for CPU usage. It listens to
network traffic on a named interface and displays a table of current bandwidth
usage by pairs of hosts. Handy for answering the question "Why is my Internet
link so slow?".

--
"World domination. Now"
-- Linus Torvalds

On Mi, 02 iun 10, 17:34:44, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> Anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight daemon (I don't
> need anything fancy like cacti) to monitor total bandwidth usage?
>
> Searches turn up quite a few, but many are unmaintained in recent
> years. Maybe they do everything they need to do, but I'd think there
> would be at least some small bug fixes.

Maybe nmon can be useful to you.

Regards,
Andrei
On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 05:34:44PM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> Anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight daemon (I don't
> need anything fancy like cacti) to monitor total bandwidth usage?

Give vnstat a try. It works well.

$ apt-cache show vnstat
Package: vnstat
Section: net
Installed-Size: 284
Maintainer: Iulian Udrea <iulian(a)ubuntu.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.10-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7)
Suggests: vnstati
Filename: pool/main/v/vnstat/vnstat_1.10-1_i386.deb
Size: 80912
MD5sum: f9bafb4d1bef7c246c40363e5378b91e
SHA1: 63427b777e2e7646b1c2d41916a57d990cfa07fe
SHA256: de5ff5f078272211bffdad5642412b5981bd0ccafa3cbbc6aeb49220d40a601a
vnStat is a network traffic monitor for Linux. It keeps a log of
daily network traffic for the selected interface(s). vnStat is not
a packet sniffer. The traffic information is analyzed from the /proc
filesystem, so vnStat can be used without root permissions.
Homepage: http://humdi.net/vnstat/
Tag: admin::monitoring, interface::commandline, role::program,
scope::utility, use::monitor

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

The health of a democratic society may be measured by the quality
of functions performed by private citizens.
-- Alexis de Tocqueville
From: Artur Frydel on
Day Wed, 2 Jun 2010 17:34:44 -0700, you wrote:

> Anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight daemon (I don't
> need anything fancy like cacti) to monitor total bandwidth usage?

bandwidthd

http://bandwidthd.sourceforge.net/

--
Artur 'bzyk' Frydel
Prayers are always answered. The answer is usually no.