From: Mark Kamichoff on
Hi -

I've been a big fan of Bluetooth's A2DP (hi-fi audio via a Bluetooth
headset) service for quite some time, mostly because of my dislike of
wired headphones and the general annoyance that comes with being
physically tethered to a desktop or laptop computer when working in a
cubical.

For quite some time Debian had great A2DP support in the Bluetooth 3.36
packages, but this all changed with the introduction of the 4.x series
and the migration of the audio service support from bluez-audio into the
bluez-alsa package, which seems to have been broken since creation.
There's a bug report that's been out there (maybe the title is a little
misleading?) since mid-2009, addressing the issue:

I'm puzzled why this (supposed) bug hasn't received more attention,
considering it impacts A2DP and prevents Bluetooth hi-fi audio from
working correctly on Debian. MPlayer (as described in the bug report)
is just one example. All ALSA-based audio applications produce the same
errors.

It's got me wondering, do folks out there who have the appropriate
headsets actually use Bluetooth hi-fi audio on Linux? Perhaps there is
a workaround for this problem that everybody's using, that doesn't
appear on any Google searches?

Anyone else in the same boat? Any suggestions?

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff
prox(a)prolixium.com
From: Cameron Hutchison on
Mark Kamichoff <prox(a)prolixium.com> writes:

>It's got me wondering, do folks out there who have the appropriate
>headsets actually use Bluetooth hi-fi audio on Linux? Perhaps there is
>a workaround for this problem that everybody's using, that doesn't
>appear on any Google searches?

I have been using my Philips SHB6100 headset with Debian sid (i686 and
x86_64) for the last 6 months or so, with some issues along the way, but
otherwise working pretty well.

I am using pulseaudio and bluetoothd to drive the headset, not alsa. I
have alsa configured to use pulseaudio for output, so all alsa is doing
is routing the default output to pulseaudio. I also have USB speakers,
which are driven by alsa when I chose that pulseaudio output.

I'm not completely sure what is needed to get this running as it is
something that I've played with quite a lot in the early days, but
looking at the packages I have manually installed, these seem to be the
related ones:
gnome-bluetooth
bluez-utils
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
pulseaudio
pulseaudio-esound-compat
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
pulseaudio-module-gconf
pulseaudio-module-hal
pulseaudio-module-x11
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf

bluetooth, bluez and bluez-alsa were automatically installed.

My /etc/asound.conf looks like this:
pcm.!default {
type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

I'm quite happy with this setup. I can use pavucontrol to change
application audio streams between the USB speakers and the BT headset
without needing to restart any applications. It works with mplayer,
gnome applications (gstreamer) and iceweasel with nonfree flash. That
is, it works with all the apps I use.

Hope this helps.

On 23/12/2009 01:01, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> Mark Kamichoff<prox(a)prolixium.com> writes:
>
>> It's got me wondering, do folks out there who have the appropriate
>> headsets actually use Bluetooth hi-fi audio on Linux? Perhaps there is
>> a workaround for this problem that everybody's using, that doesn't
>> appear on any Google searches?
>
> I have been using my Philips SHB6100 headset with Debian sid (i686 and
> x86_64) for the last 6 months or so, with some issues along the way, but
> otherwise working pretty well.
>
> I am using pulseaudio and bluetoothd to drive the headset, not alsa. I
> have alsa configured to use pulseaudio for output, so all alsa is doing
> is routing the default output to pulseaudio. I also have USB speakers,
> which are driven by alsa when I chose that pulseaudio output.
>
> I'm not completely sure what is needed to get this running as it is
> something that I've played with quite a lot in the early days, but
> looking at the packages I have manually installed, these seem to be the
> related ones:
> gnome-bluetooth
> bluez-utils
> gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
> pulseaudio
> pulseaudio-esound-compat
> pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
> pulseaudio-module-gconf
> pulseaudio-module-hal
> pulseaudio-module-x11
> pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
>
> bluetooth, bluez and bluez-alsa were automatically installed.
>
> My /etc/asound.conf looks like this:
> pcm.!default {
> type pulse
> }
> ctl.!default {
> type pulse
> }
>
> I'm quite happy with this setup. I can use pavucontrol to change
> application audio streams between the USB speakers and the BT headset
> without needing to restart any applications. It works with mplayer,
> gnome applications (gstreamer) and iceweasel with nonfree flash. That
> is, it works with all the apps I use.

If we are on this note, what about skype and a bluetooth headset (not
headphones, just a mono out).

I managed to get music out to it at the time but only explicitly for some reason
from supporting apps.

> Hope this helps.

Hi Cameron -

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:01:41PM -0000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> I am using pulseaudio and bluetoothd to drive the headset, not alsa. I
> have alsa configured to use pulseaudio for output, so all alsa is
> doing is routing the default output to pulseaudio. I also have USB
> speakers, which are driven by alsa when I chose that pulseaudio
> output.
>
> I'm not completely sure what is needed to get this running as it is
> something that I've played with quite a lot in the early days, but
> looking at the packages I have manually installed, these seem to be
> the related ones:
> gnome-bluetooth
> [...]
> pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
>
> bluetooth, bluez and bluez-alsa were automatically installed.
>
> My /etc/asound.conf looks like this:
> pcm.!default {
> type pulse
> }
> ctl.!default {
> type pulse
> }

Well, it seems PulseAudio was the missing link. A few minutes after
reading your post, I had my Altec Lansing (erm, Plantronics) 903/Rs
working with Audacious, Adobe Flash Player, and MPlayer via PulseAudio.
Thanks for the idea!

I think the only thing I need to sort out is the initial connection,
since if I disconnect the BT headphones, PulseAudio moves the audio
stream back to my internal sound card (and it looks like there's an
option for that), but connecting the headphones requires a complete
delete & re-pair. l2ping, etc. works, but PulseAudio isn't made aware
of the new output device.

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff