From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

For a printer, why can `Media Source' be `CD or DVD tray'? If I
understand it well, `Media Source' specifies where the paper to print on
is. (Or how could the paper be in the CD or DVD tray?)

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked.
A half truth is a whole lie.

From: Wolodja Wentland on
On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 09:52 +0200, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 22:21 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> > For a printer, why can `Media Source' be `CD or DVD tray'? If I
> > understand it well, `Media Source' specifies where the paper to print on
> > is. (Or how could the paper be in the CD or DVD tray?)
>
> Where are you seeing this? I checked a CUPS server nearby and was unable
> to find such an option (which, admittedly, might be due to an incomplete
> search).

Yeah, it was due to an incomplete search. (Should have used A* with a
good heuristic). Your assumption that "Media Source" specifies the paper
source used by default and I am not sure why you are offered "CD/DVD
tray". Which printer model are we talking about? Can you provide the PPD
you are using?

Kind regards

Wolodja
--
.''`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :
From: John on
On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a printer, why can `Media Source' be `CD or DVD tray'? If I
> understand it well, `Media Source' specifies where the paper to print on
> is. (Or how could the paper be in the CD or DVD tray?)

Some inkjet printers (such as some of the Epson Stylus line) can print
on a CD or DVD. Perhaps recent drivers for certain printer models
have taken this into account?

John

Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 09:52 +0200, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 22:21 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>
>>> For a printer, why can `Media Source' be `CD or DVD tray'? If I
>>> understand it well, `Media Source' specifies where the paper to print on
>>> is. (Or how could the paper be in the CD or DVD tray?)
>>>
>> Where are you seeing this? I checked a CUPS server nearby and was unable
>> to find such an option (which, admittedly, might be due to an incomplete
>> search).
>>

> Yeah, it was due to an incomplete search. (Should have used A* with a
> good heuristic). Your assumption that "Media Source" specifies the paper
> source used by default and I am not sure why you are offered "CD/DVD
> tray". Which printer model are we talking about? Can you provide the PPD
> you are using?

I'm using an HP OfficeJet Pro L7500. Well, all these options' choices
are totally determined by the PPD file, as you exactly pointed it. I
don't know where I find the PPD file (but it was tricky to find), but my
printer driver is recognized as `HP OfficeJet Pro L7500 Foomatic/hpijs'
(and its URI is `hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.0.108', notice
that this is a LAN printer). I thought I was using HPLIP, as it's
specified at
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-OfficeJet_Pro_L7500, but I'm
not sure.

--