From: Carlos Williams on
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM, ludovico van <ludovicovan80(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> i have this in $HOME/.bash_logout :
> # ~/.bash_logout: executed by bash(1) when login shell exits.
>
> # when leaving the console clear the screen to increase privacy
>
> if [ "$SHLVL" = 1 ]; then
>    [ -x /usr/bin/clear_console ] && /usr/bin/clear_console -q
> fi
>
> however a simple "clear" should be enough
>
> bye

I think having to type 'clear' before log out is crazy. Also if I have
1,000 users, thats a log of files to edit. Is there no global file
config that will achieve this?

I found a pretty global / easy resolution.

http://www.patoche.org/LTT/screen/00000004.html

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Carlos Williams <carloswill(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM, ludovico van <ludovicovan80(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> i have this in $HOME/.bash_logout :
>> # ~/.bash_logout: executed by bash(1) when login shell exits.
>>
>> # when leaving the console clear the screen to increase privacy
>>
>> if [ "$SHLVL" = 1 ]; then
>>    [ -x /usr/bin/clear_console ] && /usr/bin/clear_console -q
>> fi
>>
>> however a simple "clear" should be enough
>>
>> bye
>
> I think having to type 'clear' before log out is crazy. Also if I have
> 1,000 users, thats a log of files to edit. Is there no global file
> config that will achieve this?

I mean:
$ echo "clear" > ~/.bash_logout

or just copy the three lines above...

If you need it to be valid for all of your users, use the file
/etc/bash.logout (or is it /etc/bash.bash_logout ?? see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=546200)

bye