From: T o n g on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:44:49 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> $ date; hwclock --show
> Wed Jul 14 20:33:58 EDT 2010
> Wed 14 Jul 2010 08:33:58 PM EDT -0.953730 seconds
>
> Seems to me my hardware clock is set to local time here instead.

Nope, it get correctly interpreted by the system.

Thanks to Dave's solution, problem solved now. Reposting below:

The bug report contains the following work-around, as root run these
commands:

hwclock --systohc --utc
hwclock --hctosys --utc

Thanks everyone who replied.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

On 14/07/10 09:01 PM, T o n g wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:44:49 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Thanks to Dave's solution, problem solved now. Reposting below:
>
> The bug report contains the following work-around, as root run these
> commands:
>
> hwclock --systohc --utc
> hwclock --hctosys --utc
>
> Thanks everyone who replied.

Just wanted to report how it is going with my machine with these steps
as well. I gave the above two commands and rebooted. BIOS clock showed
UTC. Booting into Windows 7 (which is set to take BIOS time as UTC time
by the registry change I mentioned in an earlier post) and in Fedora 7
shows the right time. Rebooted, confirm BIOS was still on UTC and logged
in to Debian. The time was still correctly displayed as EDT.
$ grep -i utc /etc/default/rcS
UTC=yes
~/tmp$ date
Thu Jul 15 14:40:18 EDT 2010
~/tmp$ date --utc
Thu Jul 15 18:40:22 UTC 2010

So, er, I am still not sure how to understand this:
"To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the file
/etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you happened to
install your system to use local time, just change the variable to yes
to start using UTC." ---
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html

ever having been read.

On Jo, 15 iul 10, 14:41:49, H.S. wrote:

> So, er, I am still not sure how to understand this:
> "To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the file
> /etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you happened to
> install your system to use local time, just change the variable to yes
> to start using UTC." ---
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html

Looks like it's missing a "not", but that document is obsolete anyway.

Regards,
Andrei
On 15/07/10 03:12 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> H.S. writes:
>> So, er, I am still not sure how to understand this:
>> "To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the file
>> /etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you happened to
>> install your system to use local time, just change the variable to yes
>> to start using UTC." ---
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html
>
> It's an error. man rcS

I see. From the man page:
"UTC .... If this option is set to no then the system clock is
assumed to be set to local time. If the option is set to yes then the
system clock is assumed to be set to something approximating
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). (POSIX systems keep a variant of UTC,
without leap seconds.)"

Thanks for pointing that out.
Regards.

ever having been read.