From: AG on
Hey all

What recommendations would you have for an app to convert *.mp4 to
either *.mp3 or *.ogg?

Thanks for any suggestions.

AG

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon(a)envygeeks.com> wrote:
> Usually if the file ends in MP4 it's video, unless they forgot that most
> people use M4A for video (like Apple.) would be better if the OP could
> give us more information on that subject, is it a video or is it audio?
> MP4 Video to MP3 !== TRUE.

oggconvert also does video. changes it to ... *.ogv i believe.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 08:17:28PM +0100, AG wrote:
> Hey all
>
> What recommendations would you have for an app to convert *.mp4 to
> either *.mp3 or *.ogg?

soundconverter

-Rob

When the date was Thursday 15 of July 2010, AG wrote:

> Hey all
>
> What recommendations would you have for an app to convert *.mp4 to
> either *.mp3 or *.ogg?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> AG

I used a script like this (I just rewrote it from the top of my head, so
this one is untested):

EXT="mp4"
DEST="/home/michael/music"

for F in *.${EXT}; do
N=${F/$EXT/wav}
mplayer -vc dummy -vo null -ao pcm -aofile "${DEST}/${N}" "$F"
normalize "${DEST}/${N}"
lame --verbose -q 2 --abr 192 "${DEST}/${N}" "${DEST}/${F/$EXT/mp3}"
done

The catch with this over-engineered and occasionally inefficient script was
that I would use it for both random audio formats and video files to extract
the audio track (think presentation-to-podcast-like conversion).

--
Michael Iatrou

On Jo, 15 iul 10, 20:17:28, AG wrote:
> Hey all
>
> What recommendations would you have for an app to convert *.mp4 to
> either *.mp3 or *.ogg?

pacpl (Perl Audio Converter)

Regards,
Andrei