From: markus reichelt on
* Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> How can I know how much current goes through each USB port for its
> related device(s)? Thanks.

Via software: zero chance.

You need to measure the current directly at the port in question
while the device attached to it is in use. How that is done exactly
is up to you. You can fiddle with the cables yourself, get an adapter
(I'm sure there's one out there), go visit an electronics geek.

What you probably meant to ask is what the specification says. And
that is stated just there ;-) You can safely assume that the hardware
can handle what's listed in the specs.

--
left blank, right bald
From: Aioanei Rares on
On 05/06/2010 07:51 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I know how much current goes through each USB port for its
> related device(s)? Thanks.

You can use a voltmeter; after all, it's working with electricity....

On 5/6/2010 1:02 PM, markus reichelt wrote:
> * Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
>

>> How can I know how much current goes through each USB port for its
>> related device(s)? Thanks.
>>
> Via software: zero chance.

<snip>

Check the manufacturer website and obtain a copy of the manual for your
motherboard manual. It should have the voltage that each USB port
outputs listed. Some manufacturers require that a jumper be set in order
to increase/decrease the voltage output supplied by a specific group of
ports.

--
Ryan Manikowski

]] Devision Media Services LLC [[
www.devision.us
ryan(a)devision.us | 716.771.2282

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I know how much current goes through each USB port for its
> related device(s)? Thanks.

Try lsusb -v

There will be a MaxPower listed for the device

On Thu, 06 May 2010 13:00:19 -0400, Mike Dresser wrote:

> On Thu, 6 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I know how much current goes through each USB port for its
>> related device(s)? Thanks.
>
> Try lsusb -v
>
> There will be a MaxPower listed for the device

Nice! :-)

stt008:~# lsusb -v | grep Power
Self Powered
MaxPower 0mA
Self Powered
Self Powered
MaxPower 0mA
Self Powered
Self Powered
MaxPower 0mA
Self Powered
Self Powered
MaxPower 0mA
Self Powered
Self Powered
MaxPower 0mA
Self Powered
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 100mA <<-- usb flash drive attached
(Bus Powered)
Self Powered
MaxPower 0mA
Self Powered