From: Jack Schneider on
Hi, All I have a debian live cd which starts to boot. I get the
ISOLINUX 3.71 Debian-2008-9-06 Copyright notice. Then it just hangs-
cd active. Disk is debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso MD5 sums
check out...Cd is on-top in bios boot priority. Others, sysrescucd,
Ubuntu, Debian testing net-installer all boot fine. I have tried other
RW disks. 'may try CD-R disk if no one has a helping guess...

TIA Jack

On 2010-01-12 at 12:23:49 -0500, Jack Schneider wrote:
> Hi, All I have a debian live cd which starts to boot. I get the
> ISOLINUX 3.71 Debian-2008-9-06 Copyright notice. Then it just hangs-
> cd active. Disk is debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso MD5 sums
> check out...Cd is on-top in bios boot priority. Others, sysrescucd,
> Ubuntu, Debian testing net-installer all boot fine. I have tried other
> RW disks. 'may try CD-R disk if no one has a helping guess...

You haven't said what your hardware is, and this is just a wild guess.
But I have an old laptop which frequently hangs on cold boot from CD
(i.e. boot from power-on). Warm boot from an already running operating
system (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) works fine. Obviously, it's possible there's
something wrong with the image or with that particular burn of the image.
But try warm booting the Debian Live CD after booting something else
first. In fact, try warm booting from the hang of the cold boot.
That is one possibility. In the case of my laptop, the cold boot from
CD problem appears to be a BIOS bug.

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:00:27 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:

> On 2010-01-12 at 12:23:49 -0500, Jack Schneider wrote:
> > Hi, All I have a debian live cd which starts to boot. I get the
> > ISOLINUX 3.71 Debian-2008-9-06 Copyright notice. Then it just hangs-
> > cd active. Disk is debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso MD5
> > sums check out...Cd is on-top in bios boot priority. Others,
> > sysrescucd, Ubuntu, Debian testing net-installer all boot fine. I
> > have tried other RW disks. 'may try CD-R disk if no one has a
> > helping guess...
>
> You haven't said what your hardware is, and this is just a wild guess.
> But I have an old laptop which frequently hangs on cold boot from CD
> (i.e. boot from power-on). Warm boot from an already running
> operating system (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) works fine. Obviously, it's
> possible there's something wrong with the image or with that
> particular burn of the image. But try warm booting the Debian Live CD
> after booting something else first. In fact, try warm booting from
> the hang of the cold boot. That is one possibility. In the case of
> my laptop, the cold boot from CD problem appears to be a BIOS bug.

Stephen:
Thanks for the reply. My hardware is a Supermicro X7DAL-E M/B a couple
of years old. I burned the image using Brasero from an Ubuntu laptop.
I tried your suggestion - Warm Boot - deliberately I probably had done
it before, without thinking, chasing this..

THX, Jack

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:30:38 -0600, Jack Schneider wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:00:27 -0500 (EST) Stephen Powell
> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-01-12 at 12:23:49 -0500, Jack Schneider wrote:
>> > Hi, All I have a debian live cd which starts to boot. I get the
>> > ISOLINUX 3.71 Debian-2008-9-06 Copyright notice. Then it just hangs-
>> > cd active. Disk is debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso MD5 sums
>> > check out...Cd is on-top in bios boot priority. Others, sysrescucd,
>> > Ubuntu, Debian testing net-installer all boot fine. I have tried
>> > other RW disks. 'may try CD-R disk if no one has a helping guess...
>>
>> You haven't said what your hardware is, and this is just a wild guess.
>> But I have an old laptop which frequently hangs on cold boot from CD
>> (i.e. boot from power-on). Warm boot from an already running operating
>> system (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) works fine. Obviously, it's possible there's
>> something wrong with the image or with that particular burn of the
>> image. But try warm booting the Debian Live CD after booting something
>> else first. In fact, try warm booting from the hang of the cold boot.
>> That is one possibility. In the case of my laptop, the cold boot from
>> CD problem appears to be a BIOS bug.
>>

> Stephen:
> Thanks for the reply. My hardware is a Supermicro X7DAL-E M/B

Uh... do not tell me more :-)

Just burn a CD-R and you're done.

Gretings,

--