From: Ariel Laganá on
Hi everybody,

I've recently upgraded to debian testing (squeeze) and I'm having some
minor issues, that I hope someone can help me fix...

The thing is due to a vulnerability in desktop shortcuts execution,
gnome has introduced in their latest versions the Untrusted Application
Launcher which is supposed to prevent execution of shortcuts in desktop
unless they are given explicit execution permission. So every time one
double clicks a shortcut, a pop message appears asking whether to mark
it as trusted, launch it anyway or just cancel. This is supposed to
disappear once you mark it as trusted or if you do a chmod ugo+x
/home/user/Desktop/*.desktop but this is not working in my SO. Although
I have all desktop shortcuts with exec permission and even clicking the

I did some google research with no solution found, does anyone know a
way to fix this or if this is a bug in squeeze that hasn't been fixed yet?

Thanks!

Ariel

Le Thu 3/06/2010, Ariel Lagan� disait
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've recently upgraded to debian testing (squeeze) and I'm having
> some minor issues, that I hope someone can help me fix...
>
> The thing is due to a vulnerability in desktop shortcuts execution,
> gnome has introduced in their latest versions the Untrusted
> Application Launcher which is supposed to prevent execution of
> shortcuts in desktop unless they are given explicit execution
> permission. So every time one double clicks a shortcut, a pop
> message appears asking whether to mark it as trusted, launch it
> anyway or just cancel. This is supposed to disappear once you mark
> it as trusted or if you do a chmod ugo+x
> /home/user/Desktop/*.desktop but this is not working in my SO.
> Although I have all desktop shortcuts with exec permission and even
> clicking the 'Mark as Trusted' button doesn't make the popup
> disappear.
>
> I did some google research with no solution found, does anyone know
> a way to fix this or if this is a bug in squeeze that hasn't been
> fixed yet?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ariel

Did you check wether your home dir is mounted with the noexec option ?

--
Erwan

That was it...

Thank you!

On 06/03/2010 01:47 PM, Erwan David wrote:
> Le Thu 3/06/2010, Ariel Lagan� disait
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I've recently upgraded to debian testing (squeeze) and I'm having
>> some minor issues, that I hope someone can help me fix...
>>
>> The thing is due to a vulnerability in desktop shortcuts execution,
>> gnome has introduced in their latest versions the Untrusted
>> Application Launcher which is supposed to prevent execution of
>> shortcuts in desktop unless they are given explicit execution
>> permission. So every time one double clicks a shortcut, a pop
>> message appears asking whether to mark it as trusted, launch it
>> anyway or just cancel. This is supposed to disappear once you mark
>> it as trusted or if you do a chmod ugo+x
>> /home/user/Desktop/*.desktop but this is not working in my SO.
>> Although I have all desktop shortcuts with exec permission and even
>> clicking the 'Mark as Trusted' button doesn't make the popup
>> disappear.
>>
>> I did some google research with no solution found, does anyone know
>> a way to fix this or if this is a bug in squeeze that hasn't been
>> fixed yet?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ariel
>
> Did you check wether your home dir is mounted with the noexec option ?

Pages: 1
Prev: Squid3 on Debian
Next: Glob of Upgrades