From: ABSDoug on
If you boot up a fresh install of Debian & after you boot up, plug in your Ethernet cable & try to add software, Debian asks for the install disk. If you plug in Ethernet BEFORE you boot up it will look online for software. WOW, that was frustrating! I'm FINALLY online with Debian on my Acer Aspire One. Special thanks to Hugo Vanwoerkom. Instead of telling me to look it up, requiring me to reboot into another OS to get online, he just told me exactly what I needed to do. Now I can do all the learning & testing of Debian from INSIDE Debian. Thanks again Hugo! Ok I'm off the install Skype & see how to auto-mount ntfs partitions... if anyone has some advice on the the ntfs auto-mount, I'm gunna start a new thread. I was using "ntfs-config" in Ubuntu 9.10, but I don't see that in Debian Synaptic Package Manager.

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 07:31:20PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:
> If you boot up a fresh install of Debian & after you boot up, plug in your
> Ethernet cable & try to add software, Debian asks for the install disk. If
> you plug in Ethernet BEFORE you boot up it will look online for software.

You already have an answer, it appeared in one of your (numerous) threads
few days ago:

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:32:09 -0500, Neal Hogan wrote:
> When adding packages, your system needs to know where to look. To find
> out, it looks at the list in /etc/apt/sources.list. Take a look at
> that. You'll probably see that the first item(s) in the list refer to
> the install disk. So, until you get internet connection, you're gonna
> need to use some other means . . . like the install disk to get
> packages.
>
> Once you get connected, DO SOME HOMEWORK and figure out how to edit
> that file so that the system does not want to look at the install disk
> all of the time, but rather "looks out" at the web.

So it's time to do homework!

> Instead of telling me to look it up, requiring me to reboot into another OS
> to get online, he just told me exactly what I needed to do. Now I can do all
> the learning & testing of Debian from INSIDE Debian. Thanks again Hugo!

Well, usually people want to learn, not just do what they're told to do. If you
have no willing to solve your problems by yourself (or at least *try* to do
so), Linux (probably) is not for you. That's my opinion, anyway.

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81
From: Lisi on
On Thursday 10 June 2010 03:31:20 ABSDoug wrote:
> Instead of telling me to look it up, requiring me to reboot into another OS
> to get online

How are you getting your emails if you cannot get online? And if you can get
online to read your emails, why can you not do some work for yourself?

Lisi

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 07:31:20PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:
> If you boot up a fresh install of Debian & after you boot up, plug in your Ethernet cable & try to add software,
> Debian asks for the install disk. If you plug in Ethernet BEFORE you boot up it will look online for software.

Think :) - This is by design, particularly if you consider the use of network install media.

1. Rare case now - you have no network at all. All installation must be done from CDs / DVDs. The apt sources
list points to the DVD install media by default (You have nothing else, right?).

2. You boot from the netinst / business card CDs [PXE boot optional].
There is only enough on the disk to find a network,bootstrap a kernel and carry on [business card/PXE]
or to install a bare bones base system in addition [netinst - at about 100-150MB] If your network
isn't connected, you lose (and should get an error message somewhere).

3. You boot from the DVD _and_ a network cable is found. At this point, you're asked whether you want to use
the network. In Testing at the moment, I think the message is even something along the lines of "You're currently
installing from a CD/DVD - do you want to use netwrok repositories?"

If you're on an isolated network / behind a firewall which doesn't allow Internet access / at a friend's house
and don't want their router to configure your DHCP - you might want to carry on using the CD/DVD. If you say "No"
to the network, you should still get the DVD as your primary apt source.

If you say yes, then the DVD entry in /etc/apt/sources.list should be commented out with a # as part of the final
clean up process.

If all else fails _ALWAYS_ check the /etc/apt/sources.list file, as that should tell you what's what.
It is human editable and is read in order from top to bottom.

Hope this helps,

AndyC

On Thu, June 10, 2010 08:25, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

[snip...]
> 3. You boot from the DVD _and_ a network cable is found. At this point,
> you're asked whether you want to use
> the network. In Testing at the moment, I think the message is even
> something along the lines of "You're currently
> installing from a CD/DVD - do you want to use netwrok repositories?"

I installed squeeze (this is still testing, right? :) ) a couple of times
recently, but haven't seen this message, is it only in the full CD/DVD? Or
has it to do with the GUI install, I used the debian installer (text mode)
on a netinstall.

[snip...]

> Hope this helps,
>
> AndyC

Kind regards,
Steven

--
Rarely do people communicate; they just take turns talking.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: ntfs-config
Next: Web browsers, Adobe Flash & Debian