From: Camaleón on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:09:19 -0800, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

> I'm getting ready to assemble a computer, and intend to use Debian Linux
> as the OS. In addition to everything else I want to have a 56k modem
> for the computer -- partially as an emergency backup for the network,
> but mainly so that I can run a fax and answering machine app on the
> computer and get rid of my extremely low-quality answering machine.

I highly recommend to use a rs-232 external modem/fax, whenever possible.
I find serial ports more reliable that usb stack.

Yes, I know, serial ports (and parallel ports) are nowadays quickly being
replaced in many boards :-(

>>From what I've seen out there, the US Robotics USR5637 looks like a
> promising option: it's a small (almost tiny) external modem which
> connects via USB, and purports to have Linux support. My question: has
> anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with this component on a Debian
> system?

By reading Newegg's comments, it seems at least to be working with Fedora
and Ubuntu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104006

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Peter Tenenbaum <quarkpt(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >From what I've seen out there, the US Robotics USR5637 looks like a
> promising option: it's a small (almost tiny) external modem which connects
> via USB, and purports to have Linux support. My question: has anyone had
> any experiences (good or bad) with this component on a Debian system?

http://old.nabble.com/modem-usr-5637-td19193032.html#a19229786

Celejar

Mark Allums wrote at 2010-02-26 00:06 -0700:
> I would like to suggest another option. A router that can accept 3G
> cellular internet air cards. I use a Cradlepoint router and a
> Pantech USB modem UM175. Works astonishingly well, and you don't
> have to teach Debian anything. You just need a web browser with
> javascript.

Javascript?! I am using a cradlepoint router now and I can't imagine how
Javascript is relevant. For configuring the router?