From: Mark Allums on
On 7/4/2010 10:30 AM, lee wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 02:31:15PM +1000, CaT wrote:
>>
>> I wont be buying more of these if I can avoid it. I'd rather a 4k drive
>> that says it's a 4k drive and get on with life.
>
> Well, I wonder what the manufacturers thinking behind lieing about the
> sector size is. It only leads to problems --- everyone who bought a
> disk like that and partitions it as usual should just exchange it if
> permance testing shows poor performance until they get one that just
> works.

These drives are transition drives. The industry is moving permanently
to the new sector size, and some situations can't cope, hence, the
lying. This will pass, as the world adjusts to it.

Patience.

I have a WD20EARS here. As these drives still report their sector size
to be 512B instead of 4KB (for compatibility purposes, apparently), you
have to manually align the partition when creating it. (otherwise you'll
get very slow performance, ~3.5 MB/s instead of the ~90MB/s this drive
can do)

You might want to look at this :
http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-with-WD-Advanced-Format-drive-in-LINUX-WD15EARS/m-p/7573;jsessionid=238D80F83AF36209A94D65FBBB31B499#M369