From: Allan Wind on
I use insserv to boot my laptop and used `update-rc.d apache2
remove` to indicate that I do not want apache2 to start on
reboot. Indeed this works fine for while. Either an apache2
(apache2.2-common upgrade) or some other package install/upgrade
then seems to revert my choice and apache is once again started
in reboot.

Is there a better way to disable servers from starting?

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Allan Wind put forth on 5/13/2010 10:13 AM:
> I use insserv to boot my laptop and used `update-rc.d apache2
> remove` to indicate that I do not want apache2 to start on
> reboot. Indeed this works fine for while. Either an apache2
> (apache2.2-common upgrade) or some other package install/upgrade
> then seems to revert my choice and apache is once again started
> in reboot.
>
> Is there a better way to disable servers from starting?

I just remove the apache link in /etc/rc*.d

--
Stan

On 2010-05-14 00:59 +0200, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Allan Wind put forth on 5/13/2010 10:13 AM:
>> I use insserv to boot my laptop and used `update-rc.d apache2
>> remove` to indicate that I do not want apache2 to start on
>> reboot. Indeed this works fine for while. Either an apache2
>> (apache2.2-common upgrade) or some other package install/upgrade
>> then seems to revert my choice and apache is once again started
>> in reboot.
>>
>> Is there a better way to disable servers from starting?
>
> I just remove the apache link in /etc/rc*.d

This is equivalent to "update-rc.d apache2 remove" and will not
persist. The workaround is to keep at least one stop link, then
update-rc.d will not recreate the symlinks on package upgrades.

In squeeze it is possible to run "update-rc.d disable" and "update-rc.d
enable" to disable or enable a service.

Sven