From: Moon Monolith on
Empathy: College students don't have as much as they used to
by Diane Swanbrow

June 9, 2010

Today's college students are not as empathetic
as college students of the 1980s and '90s, a
University of Michigan study shows.

The study analyzes data on empathy among
almost 14,000 college students over the
last 30 years.

"We found the biggest drop in empathy after
the year 2000," said Sara Konrath, a researcher
at the U-M Institute for Social Research.
"College kids today are about 40 percent
lower in empathy than their counterparts
of 20 or 30 years ago, as measured by standard
tests of this personality trait."

Konrath conducted the meta-analysis, combining
the results of 72 different studies of American
college students conducted between 1979 and
2009, with U-M graduate student Edward O'Brien
and undergraduate student Courtney Hsing.

Compared to college students of the late
1970s, the study found, college students
today are less likely to agree with
statements such as "I sometimes try to
understand my friends better by imagining
how things look from their perspective"
and "I often have tender, concerned feelings
for people less fortunate than me."

In a related but separate analysis, Konrath
found that nationally representative samples
of Americans see changes in other people's
kindness and helpfulness over a similar
time period.

"Many people see the current group of college
students--sometimes called 'Generation Me'--
as one of the most self-centered, narcissistic,
competitive, confident and individualistic in
recent history," said Konrath, who is also
affiliated with the University of Rochester
Department of Psychiatry.

"It's not surprising that this growing emphasis
on the self is accompanied by a corresponding
devaluation of others," O'Brien said.

Why is empathy declining among young adults?

Konrath and O'Brien suggest there could be
several reasons, which they hope to explore
in future research.

"The increase in exposure to media during
this time period could be one factor,"
Konrath said. "Compared to 30 years ago,
the average American now is exposed to three
times as much nonwork-related information.
In terms of media content, this generation
of college students grew up with video games,
and a growing body of research, including
work done by my colleagues at Michigan, is
establishing that exposure to violent media
numbs people to the pain of others."

The recent rise of social media may also
play a role in the drop in empathy,
suggests O'Brien.

"The ease of having 'friends' online might
make people more likely to just tune out
when they don't feel like responding to
others' problems, a behavior that could
carry over offline," he said.

Add in the hyper-competitive atmosphere
and inflated expectations of success,
borne of celebrity "reality shows," and
you have a social environment that works
against slowing down and listening to
someone who needs a bit of sympathy,
he says.

"College students today may be so busy
worrying about themselves and their own
issues that they don't have time to spend
empathizing with others, or at least
perceive such time to be limited,"
O'Brien said.

The American Association of University
Women provided support for the analysis.

Click here to test your level of empathy
and compare how you scored to the
average empathy level of college students.
http://umichisr.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bCvraMmZBCcov52&SVID

From: V on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:41:23 -0700 (PDT), Moon Monolith
<monkey_4701(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>"We found the biggest drop in empathy after
>the year 2000,"

That's the year that the US government made it absolutely clear to
Americans that it had no empathy for them.

So what else is to be expected? When one lives in a culture where the
government doesn't care about its people, then the people don't care
about anyone. Anarchy ensues in a Max Max sequence where everyone is
out for themselves.