From: rudu on
Hi,
A friend of mine recently experienced a loss of data on his 500G
external WD drive.
Quite inexplicably, some directories became empty, some file sizes
became null while others stayed intact.
df -h
Sys. de fichiers Taille Uti. Disp. Uti% Mont� sur
[...]
/dev/sdb1 466G 196G 270G 43% /media/My Book

du -sh /media/My\ Book
32G /media/My Book

fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 60801 488384001 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

What I tried :
Photorec : the renaming of restored files would take years, not an
option for my friend ...

Testdisk : No need to partition recovery here, the "Repair FAT" option
only states that everything's OK.

dosfsck -v /dev/sdb1 : shows a lot of " Start does point to root
directory. Deleting dir."
I suppose it's going to wipe out all incoherent result.

I'd suspect the FAT file system for having messed something for some reason.
Is there any chance to restore the FAT tables or to reconstruct them ?

Thanks for any help.
Jean-Marc

On 7/26/10 4:52 PM, rudu wrote:
> Hi,
> A friend of mine recently experienced a loss of data on his 500G
> external WD drive.
> Quite inexplicably, some directories became empty, some file sizes
> became null while others stayed intact.
> df -h
> Sys. de fichiers Taille Uti. Disp. Uti% Mont� sur
> [...]
> /dev/sdb1 466G 196G 270G 43% /media/My Book
>
> du -sh /media/My\ Book
> 32G /media/My Book
>
> fdisk -l
> Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sdb1 1 60801 488384001 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
>
> What I tried :
> Photorec : the renaming of restored files would take years, not an
> option for my friend ...
>
> Testdisk : No need to partition recovery here, the "Repair FAT" option
> only states that everything's OK.
>
> dosfsck -v /dev/sdb1 : shows a lot of " Start does point to root
> directory. Deleting dir."
> I suppose it's going to wipe out all incoherent result.
>
> I'd suspect the FAT file system for having messed something for some
> reason.
> Is there any chance to restore the FAT tables or to reconstruct them ?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Jean-Marc

Do us a favor and mount it on a Windows partition and see if you have
the same problem. If you do Repair it from the Windows partition as
well since Windows is far better with FAT and NTFS than any other
operating system and then check again. If they're still missing post
back and let us know and we'll go from there.

On Lu, 26 iul 10, 17:22:05, Jordon Bedwell wrote:

> have the same problem. If you do Repair it from the Windows
> partition as well since Windows is far better with FAT and NTFS than
> any other operating system and then check again. If they're still
> missing post back and let us know and we'll go from there.

Any reference on that? I remember reading about some errors that Windows
was not able to repair, but the equivalent Linux tools did.

Regards,
Andrei
Le 27/07/2010 09:10, Andrei Popescu a �crit :
> On Lu, 26 iul 10, 17:22:05, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>
>> have the same problem. If you do Repair it from the Windows
>> partition as well since Windows is far better with FAT and NTFS than
>> any other operating system and then check again. If they're still
>> missing post back and let us know and we'll go from there.
>
> Any reference on that? I remember reading about some errors that Windows
> was not able to repair, but the equivalent Linux tools did.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Andrei, Jordon, Thanks for your help.
I mounted the Drive from a Win XP pro laptop.
Same story: from the 5 directories at the root of the drive, 3 are Ok
and I can browse them and read any file I want.
The two others are holding empty directories and 0b files ...
Same incoherence between the global occupation (~ 200GB) and the defrag
utility report (~ 30GB).
I can't trust build in windows utilities as I'm sure they would delete
every incoherent data.

Does all this ring somebody's bell ?
Apart from using photorec which would save thousands of weirdly named
files, is there still a chance to get them with their original names and
hopefully in their original directory path ?

TIA
Jean-Marc

On 7/27/10 4:40 AM, rudu wrote:
>> Any reference on that? I remember reading about some errors that Windows
>> was not able to repair, but the equivalent Linux tools did.

What you hear and what's true are two different things. It's Microsoft's
technology, they would be better with it than anybody else. Regardless
of what anybody says. That's like claiming OSX is better at working
with EXT4 than Linux.

> I can't trust build in windows utilities as I'm sure they would delete
> every incoherent data.

Entirely illogical thinking. The files are already unavailable, and if
those sectors are dead (which could be possible as this does sound like
a typical dying drive) well, you can figure out that logic. Windows
ckdisk does not "delete" files, you are assuming that Windows is a bad
guy, this is typical. Did you hear? The aliens are here and they
brought their pew pew lazer guns. If you are that scared, uncheck the
automatic repair and only checking.

Sorry for being mean but it had to be done. And, no, I'm no windows
fan-boy, I work from Debian mostly and main OS X but I also run enough
Windows servers to know that Windows is not what everybody says it is.