From: Stephen Powell on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:37:43 -0400 (EDT), John W Foster wrote:

> I have a new Debian AMD64 installed system mixed squeeze with a touch of
> sid (Chromium browser) I just installed the drivers & management console
> for my ATI Radeon 5450 video card & had to make a xorg.conf file then
> run aticonfig for that setup. I now have full control of the ATI card
> from the xserver screen. Good so far. Then I tried to switch to the F1
> screen which I use frequently along with all those console based screens
> & it would not switch to the console. I tried installing the "console"
> tools & removed kbd but that did not help. Any tips for fixing this.

I don't have any experience with your hardware, but my first guess would
be a KMS issue. Whatever setting it has, try reversing it.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 10:37:43AM -0500, John W Foster wrote:
> from the xserver screen. Good so far. Then I tried to switch to the F1
> screen which I use frequently along with all those console based screens
> & it would not switch to the console.

Make sure your keyboard is still configured correctly. You might have
created a new xorg.conf, removing any keyboard settings you might have
had there.