From: Klistvud on
Dne, 19. 06. 2010 06:32:04 je Gerald napisal(a):
> Those were the days when men were men and systems were built by
> men.!!!!!
> Gerald

Yep. As opposed to the Internet Age, in which not only men are men, but
most of the women are men as well, while little girls are actually FBI
agents ...

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

On 06/19/2010 03:35 AM, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 19. 06. 2010 06:32:04 je Gerald napisal(a):
>> Those were the days when men were men and systems were built by men.!!!!!
>> Gerald
>>

> Yep. As opposed to the Internet Age, in which not only men are men, but
> most of the women are men as well, while little girls are actually FBI
> agents ...

My daughter wants to be a Marine, not a Fed...

--
Seek truth from facts.

Andrew Sackville-West writes:
> that'll *really* make him feel old!

Odd. It has the opposite effect on me.
--
John Hasler

Miles Fidelman writes:
> It continually amazes me that the [Z80 is] still in production and
> widespread use.

I've got a pile of them upstairs. If I had an EPROM eraser (a
programmer is easy to build) I'd use them instead of Atmel chips.

> It could well be the most popular chip ever made for embedded
> applications.

That would be the Intel MCS48 family and/or the 8051. The latter is
still in production as an ASIC core.
--
John Hasler

* On 2010 19 Jun 07:10 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Miles Fidelman writes:
> > It continually amazes me that the [Z80 is] still in production and
> > widespread use.
>
> I've got a pile of them upstairs. If I had an EPROM eraser (a
> programmer is easy to build) I'd use them instead of Atmel chips.

Needham's Electronics used to offer them, assuming they're still in
business. I have one laying around here someplace should I ever need to
burn an EPROM for an amatuer radio application.

As for the first computer, I guess I was a Johnny Come Lately with my
TRS-80 Color Computer 2 with 16k "Extended Color BASIC" in late 1983.
Over time I upgraded it to 64k, added a 5.25" floppy disk drive, and a
dot matrix printer. I used it for packet radio for about two years as
well as composing the local radio club's newsletter until I got a PX ZT
clone in 1989 with TWO floppy drives and 640k of memory!

Unfortunately, for most of that time I had a black an white TV hooked to
it. :-/ I no longer have the machine as I gave it to a friend a number
of years back. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago and it
probably found its way to a dump in Oklahoma. :-(

- Nate >>