From: Drew Paschal on
I have looked around on google and found some documentation to set the
resolution within grub2 but some of the explanations are a bit vague. Can
someone post a clear and concise way of doing this? When I tried the ones I
found on google, I managed to make the box not boot anymore.
From: Paul E Condon on
On 20100505_131841, Drew Paschal wrote:
> I have looked around on google and found some documentation to set the
> resolution within grub2 but some of the explanations are a bit vague. Can
> someone post a clear and concise way of doing this? When I tried the ones I
> found on google, I managed to make the box not boot anymore.

Look in /etc/default/grub. Replace the line:
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
with one the suits your fancy. And remove the # at the beginning.

Also note the other variables that are set here for future
reference.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Paul E Condon <pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> On 20100505_131841, Drew Paschal wrote:
>> I have looked around on google and found some documentation to set the
>> resolution within grub2 but some of the explanations are a bit vague.  Can
>> someone post a clear and concise way of doing this?  When I tried the ones I
>> found on google, I managed to make the box not boot anymore.
>
> Look in /etc/default/grub. Replace the line:
> #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
> with one the suits your fancy. And remove the # at the beginning.

Also
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=<same-resolution-as-GRUB_GFXMODE>

This worked PERFECTLY. My steps:

vim /etc/default/grub

I uncommented the GRUB_GFXMODE= line and changed it to:
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024

Under that, I added the line:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024

I then saved and exited.

I then ran update-grub and rebooted. Works great. Thank you!

From: Tom H on
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Drew Paschal <dpaschal(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Tom H <tomh0665(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Paul E Condon <pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net>
>> wrote:
>> > Look in /etc/default/grub. Replace the line:
>> > #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
>> > with one the suits your fancy. And remove the # at the beginning.
>>
>> Also
>> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=<same-resolution-as-GRUB_GFXMODE>
>
> This worked PERFECTLY. My steps:
> vim /etc/default/grub
> I uncommented the GRUB_GFXMODE= line and changed it to:
> GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
> Under that, I added the line:
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024
> I then saved and exited.
> I then ran update-grub and rebooted. Works great. Thank you!

You're welcome. Although Stephen P must be disappointed that you
didn't switch to lilo! :)