From: Tsang Kim Wai on
Hi All,

I am a newbie in Debian and have just installed Debian 5 (lenny) stable
release. I have used "apt-get install eclipse" to install a version of
eclipse into my system and that version runs well.

However, later I find that the installed version of eclipse is 3.2 and
I would like to install the current eclipse release 3.5 as an alternative of
eclipse 3.2.

I find that eclipse 3.5 Linux version
(eclipse-jee-galileo-SR1-linux-gtk.tar.gz) could be downloaded from the
eclipse site but I do not know how to install it into Debian to make it
co-exist with the older eclipse 3.2.

Any suggestion ?

Regards
Lawrence
From: Tsang Kim Wai on
Hi Mat,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have downloaded the "eclipse_3.4.1-1_i386.deb" file from the link you
provided. I am now finding information on installing this eclipse 3.4 using
"dpkg".

However, one point I want to be clear in advance is that would the
eclipse 3.4 installation using "dpkg" replaces / corrupts my old eclipse 3.2
installation. Moreover, the eclipse 3.4 ".deb" file has just 120KB size. Is
that reasonable with such a big application ?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Regards
Lawrence

From: Liam O'Toole on
On 2010-01-10, Tsang Kim Wai <tkwinfo(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> --001636e0b6ed2ae890047cc97805
>
> Hi Mat,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I have downloaded the "eclipse_3.4.1-1_i386.deb" file from the link you
> provided. I am now finding information on installing this eclipse 3.4 using
> "dpkg".
>
> However, one point I want to be clear in advance is that would the
> eclipse 3.4 installation using "dpkg" replaces / corrupts my old eclipse 3.2
> installation. Moreover, the eclipse 3.4 ".deb" file has just 120KB size. Is
> that reasonable with such a big application ?

Installing the downloaded .deb file would upgrade your existing installation.
The file is small because its dependencies (eclipse-jdt, etc.) contain most of
the binaries. You would have to download and install those as well.

I think it would be easier to unpack the .tar.gz file. as others have suggested.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Hi Nick Douma, Liam O'Toole and Mathias,

It works by simply extracting the downloaded Eclipse 3.5 binary file
into /usr/local/eclipse-3.5/ directory and then run the eclipse script under
that directory. But I think, the eclipse 3.5 simple installation may depend
on some configurations of my old eclipse 3.2 installation. That is, I may
not un-install eclipse 3.2 while expecting eclipse 3.5 would work properly.
Is that the case ?

Anyway, thank you for all your suggestions.

Regards
Lawrence

From: Tsang Kim Wai on
Hi All,

Thanks for all your information. The eclipse 3.5 works OK.

But if I want to try one of Mathias suggestion to upgrade my old
eclipse 3.2 to eclipse 3.4 in the unstable release, then, in my
understanding, I would need to edit the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to
change any "lenny" keywork to "sid".

My sources.list file contains the following lines :

deb http://ftp.hk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.hk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
contrib non-free

Then I think replacing all "lenny" to "sid" should change my Debian
system from stable to un-stable release so that I could upgrade eclipse 3.2
to eclipse 3.4 by running just "apt-get install eclipse". Is that the case ?

Alternatively, if I don't change my Debian system to un-stable release
through editing "sources.list", could I still upgrade my old eclipse 3.2 to
eclipse 3.4 in other way ?

Any comment / suggestion.

Regards
Lawrence