From: Dotan Cohen on
I am trying to get a USB device working. In lsusb the ID shows up, but
the name of the device does not. Is this an indication that the driver
is not properly installed?

For instance, this is how functioning devices look in lsusb:
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355 Bluetooth

However, the device that I need to operate does not show the name,
only the beginning of the line like this:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 104f:0006

Does that mean that the device driver is not properly installed?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

On 11 March 2010 22:50, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian(a)icfo.es> wrote:

> No, it only means that this combination of vendor ID 104f (WB
> Electronics) and device ID 0006 (Infinity Smart) is not listed in your
> /var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids file. You can run "update-usbids" to get the
> newest version. The contents of the usb.ids have no influence on the
> process by which the kernel tries to find modules for devices, AFAIK.

Thanks, Florian, that is reassuring.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 22:19:05 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I am trying to get a USB device working. In lsusb the ID shows up, but
> the name of the device does not. Is this an indication that the driver
> is not properly installed?
>
> For instance, this is how functioning devices look in lsusb:
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355 Bluetooth
>
> However, the device that I need to operate does not show the name,
> only the beginning of the line like this:
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 104f:0006
>
> Does that mean that the device driver is not properly installed?

No, it only means that this combination of vendor ID 104f (WB
Electronics) and device ID 0006 (Infinity Smart) is not listed in your
/var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids file. You can run "update-usbids" to get the
newest version. The contents of the usb.ids have no influence on the
process by which the kernel tries to find modules for devices, AFAIK.

--
Regards, |
Florian |

debian-user(a)lists.debian.org writes:

>I am trying to get a USB device working. In lsusb the ID shows up, but

the name of the device does not. Is this an indication that the driver

is not properly installed?

For instance, this is how functioning devices look in lsusb:

Bus 005 Device 003: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355
>Bluetooth

However, the device that I need to operate does not show the name,

only the beginning of the line like this:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 104f:0006

Does that mean that the device driver is not properly installed?

--

Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com

http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not

read all list mail.

>listmaster(a)lists.debian.org

Archive:
>http://lists.debian.org/880dece01003111219s3872c94w94b57a8fdd4be922(a)mail.gmail.com

update your usb ids
sudo update-usbids

> No, it only means that this combination of vendor ID 104f (WB
> Electronics) and device ID 0006 (Infinity Smart) is not listed in your
> /var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids file. You can run "update-usbids" to get the
> newest version. The contents of the usb.ids have no influence on the
> process by which the kernel tries to find modules for devices, AFAIK.

If after running "sudo update-usbids.sh" the device name is still not
shown, is that a sign that the driver is not properly installed?