From: Hendrik Boom on
I have a script that runs at boot time. It should really be rerun every
time my pppoe connection has come up and has created device ppp0 for me.
Evidently I have to invoke this script from someplace different from what
I'm doing now. Where?

-- hendrik

Hendrik Boom <hendrik(a)topoi.pooq.com> writes:

>I have a script that runs at boot time. It should really be rerun every
>time my pppoe connection has come up and has created device ppp0 for me.
>Evidently I have to invoke this script from someplace different from what
>I'm doing now. Where?

After a ppp connection is established, pppd(8) runs the scripts in
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d . Check the man page for pppd(8) under the section
SCRIPTS. This describes which scripts are run when and what environment
variables are available.

The standard ppp runs the script /etc/ppp/ip-up when the link comes up.
Debian implements this script to run all the scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d

On Mon, 17 May 2010 04:50:23 +0000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:

> Hendrik Boom <hendrik(a)topoi.pooq.com> writes:
>
>>I have a script that runs at boot time. It should really be rerun every
>>time my pppoe connection has come up and has created device ppp0 for me.
>>Evidently I have to invoke this script from someplace different from
>>what I'm doing now. Where?
>
> After a ppp connection is established, pppd(8) runs the scripts in
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d . Check the man page for pppd(8) under the section
> SCRIPTS. This describes which scripts are run when and what environment
> variables are available.
>
> The standard ppp runs the script /etc/ppp/ip-up when the link comes up.
> Debian implements this script to run all the scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d

So pppoe is similar to ppp in this respect, though I suppose there are
some differences having to do with using the ethernet instead of a serial
link. Thanks.

-- hendrik

On Mon, 17 May 2010 18:13:06 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2010 04:50:23 +0000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
>
>> Hendrik Boom <hendrik(a)topoi.pooq.com> writes:
>>
>>>I have a script that runs at boot time. It should really be rerun
>>>every time my pppoe connection has come up and has created device ppp0
>>>for me. Evidently I have to invoke this script from someplace different
>>>from what I'm doing now. Where?
>>
>> After a ppp connection is established, pppd(8) runs the scripts in
>> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d . Check the man page for pppd(8) under the section
>> SCRIPTS. This describes which scripts are run when and what environment
>> variables are available.
>>
>> The standard ppp runs the script /etc/ppp/ip-up when the link comes up.
>> Debian implements this script to run all the scripts in
>> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d
>
> So pppoe is similar to ppp in this respect, though I suppose there are
> some differences having to do with using the ethernet instead of a
> serial link. Thanks.
>
> -- hendrik

Thanks. It works like a charm.

-- hendrik