From: T o n g on

Hi,

How can I trick my Debian into thinking that a package is not installed?

I am talking about the *standalone* durep package. I don't like the new
0.9 version but rather prefer the old 0.8 version. However, even I've put
it on hold in dpkg/aptitude, from time to time if I do a 'aptitude safe-
upgrade', this durep package somehow get upgraded as well.

So now I think the easiest way for me to fix the problem once and for all
is to hide the fact to my Debian that the durep package is ever installed.

Please comment.
Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

On 2010-04-20 10:22, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I trick my Debian into thinking that a package is not installed?
>
> I am talking about the *standalone* durep package. I don't like the new
> 0.9 version but rather prefer the old 0.8 version. However, even I've put
> it on hold in dpkg/aptitude, from time to time if I do a 'aptitude safe-
> upgrade', this durep package somehow get upgraded as well.
>
> So now I think the easiest way for me to fix the problem once and for all
> is to hide the fact to my Debian that the durep package is ever installed.

apt-get users "pin" packages at a certain version. I don't know if
aptitude does that behind the scenes.

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: icedove
Pin: version 2.0*
Pin-Priority: 1001

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 03:22:00PM +0000, T o n g <mlist4suntong(a)yahoo.com> was heard to say:
> I am talking about the *standalone* durep package. I don't like the new
> 0.9 version but rather prefer the old 0.8 version. However, even I've put
> it on hold in dpkg/aptitude, from time to time if I do a 'aptitude safe-
> upgrade', this durep package somehow get upgraded as well.

Can you provide any more information about this? It shouldn't happen
in any recent version of aptitude.

Daniel

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 05:44:20PM -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama" <spam(a)bounceswoosh.org> was heard to say:
> For some reason, this just now triggered a memory for me. I think
> sometimes when aptitude is making suggestions to resolve conflicts, it
> will un-hold packages. I wonder if this is how your explicit hold gets
> removed.

Just so this isn't left hanging, the reason I say this shouldn't
happen is that it *used* to happen and I fixed it. There were two ways
you could get broken holds, and I fixed one in version 0.4.11:

* The aptitude dependency resolver will now refuse to adjust held
packages or install forbidden versions unless you manually allow
it to. This behavior can be disabled by setting
Aptitude::ProblemResolver::Allow-Break-Holds to "false".

aptitude will still break holds when packages are being
automatically installed; there is a pending patch against apt that
eliminates this behavior.

and the other in 0.5.9rc1:

+ [all] aptitude now uses the new hooks in apt to prevent the greedy
resolver from removing packages or breaking holds.

(Closes: #177374, #205049, #374353, #376802, #406506,
#430816, #434731, #442420, #452589)

I am not, at present, aware of any other circumstances where aptitude
wrongly breaks holds. That said, I don't put packages on hold very
often, so I depend on users to send bug reports if they're seeing that
behavior.

Daniel

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:27:28PM +0000, T o n g <mlist4suntong(a)yahoo.com> was heard to say:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:33:14 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > Can you provide any more information about this? It shouldn't happen
> > in any recent version of aptitude.
>
> I can only give you partial information.
>
> This is what I've been doing
>
> aptitude --purge-unused purge durep
> dpkg -i /linux/linux_bin/deb-pkgs/durep_0.8.1-7.1_all.deb
> aptitude install durep=
>
> For how it happened, I need directions for where to look for such
> "more information".

If you see "aptitude safe-upgrade" trying to upgrade durep, I'd like
to see the output of these commands (after you type Control-C at the
aptitude prompt, of course):

aptitude show durep
aptitude -sy --show-resolver-actions safe-upgrade

> It is not the first time such thing happens, I agree with Monique's
> obervation, "when aptitude is making suggestions to resolve conflicts, it
> will un-hold packages."

That shouldn't be possible. If it is happening, something is very
wrong. My own guess is that something is clearing your hold flags. For
instance, it was recently pointed out to me that "aptitude keep-all"
clears hold flags (probably wrongly).

Daniel

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: dash-as-bin-sh
Next: How does snapshot.debian.org work?