From: Merciadri Luca on

- From Matt Harrison on Sat Dec 12:

> The other CD-DVD writer works like a charm, but this one does not,
> whatever the interface. I had mainly tried with GNOME's built-in's
> burning tool, but it explains me that I should try burning the CD/DVD
> at a lower speed. I tried, but even in 1x speed (!) it still fails
> after ~2 sec of burning.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Merciadri Luca
> See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/

I just tried with gnomebaker (I did not know it). Really bad news.

Writing a DVD-R (I never use DVD+R, and they should be `less well' supported
by my DVD writer):

==
Executing 'genisoimage -gui -V GnomeBaker data disk -A GnomeBaker -p Luca Merciadri -iso-level 3 -l -r -hide-rr-moved -J -joliet-long -graft-points --path-list /tmp/GnomeBaker-merciadriluca/gnomebaker-DPJ84U | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 1.0x1352KBps.
:-[ WRITE(a)LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT]: Wrong medium type
:-( media is not formatted or unsupported.
:-( write failed: Wrong medium type
==

Writing a CD-R:

==
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.scsidev: '/dev/sr0'
devname: '/dev/sr0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.9
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
TOC Type: 3 = CD-ROM XA mode 2
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : '_NEC '
Identification : 'DVD_RW ND-2500A '
Revision : '1.06'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM) (current)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1343488 = 1312 KB
FIFO size : 12582912 = 12288 KB
Speed set to 5645 KB/s
 4 seconds. 3 seconds. 2 seconds. 1 seconds. 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Starting new track at sector: 0
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 35 E3 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00
Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x08 Qual 0x03 (logical unit communication crc error (ultra-dma/32)) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.026s timeout 40s
wodim: A write error occured.
wodim: Please properly read the error message above.

write track data: error after 28252160 bytes
Writing time: 22.643s
Average write speed 238.9x.
Min drive buffer fill was 100%
Fixating...
Fixating time: 22.904s
BURN-Free was 1 times used.
wodim: fifo had 637 puts and 446 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 418 times full, min fill was 96%.
==

The problem is actually the

==
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 35 E3 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00
Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x08 Qual 0x03 (logical unit communication crc error (ultra-dma/32)) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.026s timeout 40s
wodim: A write error occured.
wodim: Please properly read the error message above.

write track data: error after 28252160 bytes
==

It looks like a hardware error, as stated before by the log, but why?
I am sure this is linked with the fact that it is done through IDE,
but Windows does not complain about this.

Thanks.

- --
Merciadri Luca

On 09-12-12 08:54:35, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> It looks like a hardware error, as stated before by the log, but why?
> I am sure this is linked with the fact that it is done through IDE,
> but Windows does not complain about this.

Can the drive /read/ CDs and DVDs in Windows? In Linux? If not,
certainly try the next suggestion.

Try fiddling with the cables to the drive. Replug them. Move the data
cable around in the computer case.

#include <hallo.h>
* Merciadri Luca [Sun, Dec 13 2009, 03:58:37PM]:

> I thought that I had specified it before, but, according to your
> message, I did not explain this in an explicit way.
>
> Under Windows (XP), I am able to read, and write, on any CD or DVD
> medium, whatever the writer. I am thus fully able to use the
> Linux-problematic CD-DVD-writer under Windows XP. That proves that
> cables and related stuff are correctly done. That is the main problem:
> Linux cannot make it, while Windows can make it, for once.

Relax. Then I suggest testing a closed-source alternative similar to
what you may know from Windows experience: Nero Linux 4,
http://www.nerolinux.de/. This way you can exclude kernel issues as
potential problem.

Regards,
Eduard.

--
<LGS> Halloechen, ihr Spinner, so frueh auf?
<nusse> nein, wir schlafen alle im kollektiv