From: martin on
Hi,

I have problem with IPv4 on my local network. Applications that is trying to
connect to localhost with IPv4 gets “connection refused”. I have constructed a
simple Java program that is triggering the problem. The program simple just
open a socket port and waiting for a connection.

Starting by doing the following:
$ java DummyServer 7000

When testing with telnet:
$ telnet -4 localhost 7000
Trying 127.0.0.1...
$

By forcing with IPv6 is working:
$ telnet -6 localhost 7000
Trying ::1...
Connected to ip6-localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

My /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 gizmo

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

IPConfig:
$ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0 *hidden*

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:37316 (36.4 KiB) TX bytes:37316 (36.4 KiB)

IPTables:
$ sudo iptables --list
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc,
it will be ignored in a future release.
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

When running the iptables command, the kernel also output the following in
it's log:
[ 3456.030975] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team

My /etc/network/interface file

# The loopback network interface
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Any ideas what can be wrong?

Martin
From: jeff dickison on

On Dec 29, 2009, at 7:07 AM, martin <martin.juhlin(a)home.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problem with IPv4 on my local network. Applications that is
> trying to
> connect to localhost with IPv4 gets “connection refused”.. I have
> constructed a
> simple Java program that is triggering the problem. The program
> simple just
>
> Starting by doing the following:
> $ java DummyServer 7000
>
> When testing with telnet:
> $ telnet -4 localhost 7000
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>
> $ telnet -6 localhost 7000
> Trying ::1...
> Connected to ip6-localhost.
>
> Any ideas what can be wrong?
>
> Martin
> <DummyServer.java>

Hi Martin,
What's the output of:
sudo lsof -i:7000

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 14.26.51 jeff dickison wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2009, at 7:07 AM, martin <martin.juhlin(a)home.se> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have problem with IPv4 on my local network. Applications that is
> > trying to
> > connect to localhost with IPv4 gets “connection refused”. I have
> > constructed a
> > simple Java program that is triggering the problem. The program
> > simple just
> >
> > Starting by doing the following:
> > $ java DummyServer 7000
> >
> > When testing with telnet:
> > $ telnet -4 localhost 7000
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> >
> > $ telnet -6 localhost 7000
> > Trying ::1...
> > Connected to ip6-localhost.
> >
> > Any ideas what can be wrong?
> >
> > Martin
> > <DummyServer.java>
>
> Hi Martin,
> What's the output of:
> sudo lsof -i:7000

The output is as following:

$ sudo lsof -i:7000
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
java 6130 martin 4u IPv6 66197 0t0 TCP *:afs3-fileserver(LISTEN)
$

Martin

Sent from my coffee machine

On Dec 29, 2009, at 7:36 AM, martin <martin.juhlin(a)home.se> wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 December 2009 14.26.51 jeff dickison wrote:
>> On Dec 29, 2009, at 7:07 AM, martin <martin.juhlin(a)home.se> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have problem with IPv4 on my local network. Applications that is
>>> trying to
>>> connect to localhost with IPv4 gets “connection refused”.. I have
>>> constructed a
>>> simple Java program that is triggering the problem. The program
>>> simple just
>>>
>>> Starting by doing the following:
>>> $ java DummyServer 7000
>>>
>>> When testing with telnet:
>>> $ telnet -4 localhost 7000
>>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>>> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>>>
>>> $ telnet -6 localhost 7000
>>> Trying ::1...
>>> Connected to ip6-localhost.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what can be wrong?
>>>
>>> Martin
>>> <DummyServer.java>
>>
>> Hi Martin,
>> What's the output of:
>> sudo lsof -i:7000
>>

> The output is as following:
>
> $ sudo lsof -i:7000
> COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
> java 6130 martin 4u IPv6 66197 0t0 TCP *:afs3-
> fileserver(LISTEN)
> $
>
> Martin

So, this shows us its only listening on ipv6 and not on ipv4. Just a
guess, but I would suspect that there might be an issue with the java
app. Are you seeing this issue with other apps?

Could it be this (from the AMD64 list)?

Workaround:

/etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf

-> net.ipv6.bindv6only = 0

See also Thread "Java Anwendungen - keine Netzwerk/Internetverbindung
mehr" in the german debuan-users list.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld