From: Anthony Campbell on
I often use Iceweasel to connect to the BBC, either for radio or TV.
Recently I've found that when I delete the connection Iceweasel locks up
and I have to go to a terminal to kill it. This also happens with
Firefox (latest version) but not with Iceape.

Anyone else seen this?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac(a)acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:31:26 +0100
Anthony Campbell <ac(a)acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> I often use Iceweasel to connect to the BBC, either for radio or TV.
> Recently I've found that when I delete the connection Iceweasel locks
> up and I have to go to a terminal to kill it. This also happens with
> Firefox (latest version) but not with Iceape.
>
> Anyone else seen this?

Naturally the first thing you should suspect is flash.

The other thing that _might_ help, is to run strace on iceweasel and
see if that reveals why it's hanging.

Brian

On 15 Jul 2010, briand(a)aracnet.com wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:31:26 +0100
> Anthony Campbell <ac(a)acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I often use Iceweasel to connect to the BBC, either for radio or TV.
> > Recently I've found that when I delete the connection Iceweasel locks
> > up and I have to go to a terminal to kill it. This also happens with
> > Firefox (latest version) but not with Iceape.
> >
> > Anyone else seen this?
> >

> Naturally the first thing you should suspect is flash.
>
> The other thing that _might_ help, is to run strace on iceweasel and
> see if that reveals why it's hanging.
>
> Brian

Yes, correct. I found I was running an older version of flash. Updating
it has restored function to normal. Thanks.

Anthony

On 22 Jul 2010, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> Yes, correct. I found I was running an older version of flash. Updating
> it has restored function to normal. Thanks.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as I thought. The latest version of
flash (10.1...) doesn't crash the browser but it gives a jerky display
with BBC iplayer on full screen. I see on the flash forum that this is a
known issue which others are complaining about. So I have to choose
between seeing TV in a small window or seeing it full size but having to
kill the browser afterwards each time.

Anthony