From: Joubert on

> Before the GFC happened. some eminent mathematicians I know were so
> much in awe and praise of the mathematical models underlying credit
> derivatives. "They are so complex, they surpass even general
> relativity. Hardly anyone knows how they work".

Don't make fun of yourself with these ridiculous pop claims.
From: Rod Speed on
John Stafford wrote:
> In article <i1ok791s32(a)news2.newsguy.com>,
> Michael Coburn <mikcob(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:25:00 -0500, John Stafford wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <c535c1d7-c47a-4f44-a4fb-5e85dc7d1dcb(a)p22g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Do people really believe economics is a science? I do not. Nor does
>>> anyone I know (and I work in academe).
>>
>> If those in academe think economics is not a science then it is small
>> wonder we are producing such poor economists.
>
> Show me how economics is a science.

It does at least attempt to consider the evidence for the most basic stuff like
whether Keynesian deficit spending does work in some circumstances etc.

Its a lot harder to do than with say newtonian physics tho.

From: Ron Peterson on
On Jul 16, 6:00 am, John Stafford <n...(a)droffats.ten> wrote:

> Show me how economics is a science.

Economists construct models of society that deals with trade,
production, labor, and services. This would be considered an
hypothesis.

The hypothesis can be tested against recruited subjects or
observations of society.

--
Ron
From: Arindam Banerjee on
On Jul 18, 2:38 pm, Michael Coburn <mik...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:49:23 -0700, Arindam Banerjee wrote:
>
> a4fb-5e85dc7d1...(a)p22g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

> >> First principles:
>
> >> 1.  Man seeks to satisfy his needs and desires with as little
> >> discomfort to himself as possible.
>
> > Doesn't explain lots of things for lots of men (and women), but correct
> > for the dull majority.  Hoewever the majority amounts to maintaining the
> > status quo, the minority takes things front or back.
>
> >> 2.  There really aren't in other first principles.
>
> > So look at it much more carefully, for it is wrong.
>
> I've looked at it for a very long time.  And it is the fundamental
> proposition of all _real_ economics.  There are other things that matter
> to people.  But those things have nothing to do with economics.

Define economics, then.
From: Arindam Banerjee on
On Jul 19, 8:50 am, Michael Coburn <mik...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:57:44 -0700, Arindam Banerjee wrote:
>
> >> a4fb-5e85dc7d1...(a)p22g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

> >> I've looked at it for a very long time.  And it is the fundamental
> >> proposition of all _real_ economics.  There are other things that
> >> matter to people.  But those things have nothing to do with economics.
>
> > Define economics, then.
>
> The formulation of societal rules that maximize material well being.

Since for me, economics means whatever it takes to determine the price
of a saleable commodity, we cannot argue any more.

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee