From: Ed Jabbour on
On Saturday 13 March 2010 12:31:53 am
Ron Johnson wrote:
> Since I stumbled onto this a couple of months ago, it's become
> indispensable! Highlight some text, right-click and a little b/w
> bull's eye appears. Mouse onto the bull's eye and a pop-up menu
> appears which lets you perform a multitude of tasks, like Googling
> it, searching Wikipedia, translating to a different language, etc.

Ahh, the vagaries of machine translation. I took the word "other" in the
phrase "other top stories" and ran it from English to Arabic to Chinese to
English. I got "detention top stories".

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:57:35 -0500 (EST), Ed Jabbour wrote:

> Ahh, the vagaries of machine translation. I took the word "other" in the
> phrase "other top stories" and ran it from English to Arabic to Chinese to
> English. I got "detention top stories".

That reminds me of a story in which a phrase from the bible:

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

was translated by computer from English to some other language and then
back again. The result was:

The wine is good, but the meat is spoiled.

Computers may translate more quickly than humans, but not necessarily
more accurately.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On 2010-03-13 09:05, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>>> it doesn't like iceweasel..
>> Sure it does. Me using it is QED.
>
> when I click on the download, it said I had to install firefox, chrome, or...
> something else..
> now, it DID install just fine on my separate firefox 3.6 install..
> I had to install firefox 3.6, because iceweasel 3.0.6 was acting really, R E A
> L L Y slow...
> ii iceweasel 3.0.6-3

"3.0.6-3"

That might be the problem! I'm running v.3.5.8.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

On 13 March 2010 21:26, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

>> what version of iceweasel do you have
>>

> v3.5.8

It's 3.0.6 for me, and works well.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:31:53 -0600
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> Apparently, it's based upon the ideas of Douglas Engelbart back in
> the 1960s.

Apparently, it can be argued * that much of the standard modern
computer UI paradigm is "based on the ideas of Douglas Engelbart".

* Weasel wording, since ISTR that there's some controversy about how
much credit he actually deserves)

Celejar