From: Krzysztof Walkiewicz on
Hi list,

I try to install 16GB CF card in HP 5700 terminal via IDE cable and
adapter IDE--->CF. The problem is, that BIOS doesn't see this card.

What I overlooked?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Krzysztof.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:36:26 +0200, Krzysztof Walkiewicz wrote:

> I try to install 16GB CF card in HP 5700 terminal via IDE cable and
> adapter IDE--->CF. The problem is, that BIOS doesn't see this card.

Is that a "thin client"?

The BIOS should not see/detect the card "per-se" (adapter device is
handled transparently by the system) but in a normal situation¹ you
should be able to boot from IDE devices -whatever IDE bus has attached on
it-, is that is your goal.

I would ask HP about this. You may need a special/concrete adapter or
juts it is not even an option.

Also, check is the adapter is "in good shape" and works in another system.

¹ Normal situation: I mean, using a standard BIOS/motherboard. HP -as
many integrators do- modify/adapt computer BIOS to play nice with their
systems. Being this a "thin client", I would expect even a more
integration performed by the manufacturer.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

W dniu 2010-04-28 09:46, Camaleón pisze:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:36:26 +0200, Krzysztof Walkiewicz wrote:
>
>> I try to install 16GB CF card in HP 5700 terminal via IDE cable and
>> adapter IDE--->CF. The problem is, that BIOS doesn't see this card.
>
> Is that a "thin client"?
>
> The BIOS should not see/detect the card "per-se" (adapter device is
> handled transparently by the system) but in a normal situation¹ you
> should be able to boot from IDE devices -whatever IDE bus has attached on
> it-, is that is your goal.
>
> I would ask HP about this. You may need a special/concrete adapter or
> juts it is not even an option.
>
> Also, check is the adapter is "in good shape" and works in another system.
>
> ¹ Normal situation: I mean, using a standard BIOS/motherboard. HP -as
> many integrators do- modify/adapt computer BIOS to play nice with their
> systems. Being this a "thin client", I would expect even a more
> integration performed by the manufacturer.
>
> Greetings,

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is a thin client. I solved the
problem - it was a jumper that I needed to switch.
But now I have another problem:
During booting I have an error:

dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21

then, debian installer starts, byt after I set up partitions I get a
message that system wasn't able to mount them.

I try to install the system (Debian Lenny) from USB stick, via SYSLINUX.
Am I nedd to add "ide=nodma" to the syslinux.cfg file?

Maybe somebody had same problem?

Krzysztof

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:18:44 +0200, Krzysztof Walkiewicz wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is a thin client. I solved the
> problem - it was a jumper that I needed to switch.

Good :-)

> But now I have
> another problem:
> During booting I have an error:
>
> dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21

Bad :-(

> then, debian installer starts, byt after I set up partitions I get a
> message that system wasn't able to mount them.
>
> I try to install the system (Debian Lenny) from USB stick, via SYSLINUX.
> Am I nedd to add "ide=nodma" to the syslinux.cfg file?
>
> Maybe somebody had same problem?

It seems many people faced that problem (as a quick Google search
suggests):

<http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&source=hp&q=dma_timer_expiry%3A
+dma+status+%3D%3D+0x21&btnG=Google+Search&fp=47a2ff188eff6511>

Sorry I cannot give you a "fine-grained" advice, I never encountered such
a problem :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón