From: Mark on
Hello,

I am trying to install the firmware for an Intel ipw2100 wifi card on a Dell
Latitude D800 laptop (the driver is supported in the Lenny kernel, just not
the firmware). According to this page http://wiki.debian.org/ipw2200 (note
bold text by Steve McIntyre) the Debian installer should be able to read the
tarball file during the installation; I tried last night but the installer
needs the .fw file not the tar.gz file. Every link I've tried, including
this one http://packages.debian.org/lenny/firmware-ipw2x00 is either a
tar.gz or .deb file. I can't seem to find a download for .fw...any ideas or
help out there? I suppose I can install the firmware after getting Lenny
installed by adding "contrib non-free" to /apt/sources.list, but since the
installer prompts for "ipw2100-1.3.fw" file during installation, I'd like to
get it installed at that time.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mark
From: Marco Vaschetto on
Mark ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install the firmware for an Intel ipw2100 wifi card on
> a Dell Latitude D800 laptop (the driver is supported in the Lenny
> kernel, just not the firmware). According to this page
> http://wiki.debian.org/ipw2200 (note bold text by Steve McIntyre) the
> Debian installer should be able to read the tarball file during the
> installation; I tried last night but the installer needs the .fw file
> not the tar.gz file. Every link I've tried, including this one
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/firmware-ipw2x00 is either a tar.gz
> or .deb file. I can't seem to find a download for .fw...any ideas or
> help out there? I suppose I can install the firmware after getting
> Lenny installed by adding "contrib non-free" to /apt/sources.list, but
> since the installer prompts for "ipw2100-1.3.fw" file during
> installation, I'd like to get it installed at that time.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Mark
do you have try to unpack the tar ball? you download?

if you don't have any machine whit Linux you can use 7zip on windows

for unpack the package *.tar.gz if not finish the Lenny installation
giust "apt-get install firmware-ipw2x00" and load the appropiate modules.

good by