From: Stefan Monnier on
>> Which architecture should I use for an Intel Atom Processor?
> It depends on the exact model.
> There are some Atom micros supporting 64 bits (amd64) but the vast
> majority don't (just 32 bits, so i386 is required), so better check first
> the serial number.

Don't bother checking: since you had to ask the question, you won't care
whether you run a 64bit or 32bit kernel, and since those processors
don't support much more than 2GB anyway, there's no point running
a 64bit kernel.
I.e. just use your regular 32bit Intel install (i386/x86/i686/IA32 or
whichever name you like to use to refer to it).

Stefan