From: Alan Chandler on
Over the past few weeks there has been a change in my system behaviour.

I frequently get back to my screen to find the gdm greeter inviting me
to log in again. At first I thought it might have been the screen
saver, but unlike when the screensaver wants you to login in, all the
programs that were running seem to have terminated. In other words it
appears I have been logged out.

This is extremely annoying - edits that I might have been making are not
saved - and more than once now I have lost quite a bit of work.

I can't see how to turn this behaviour off. The screen saver is NOT set
to lock the screen. I can't see any options set in /etc/gdm3 anywhere
that might cause me to get logged off after a timeout.

I am sure there is a configuration controlling this somewhere. Can
anyone point me to it.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 09:56:58 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Over the past few weeks there has been a change in my system behaviour.
>
> I frequently get back to my screen to find the gdm greeter inviting
> me to log in again. At first I thought it might have been the
> screen saver, but unlike when the screensaver wants you to login in,
> all the programs that were running seem to have terminated. In
> other words it appears I have been logged out.
>
> This is extremely annoying - edits that I might have been making are
> not saved - and more than once now I have lost quite a bit of work.
>
> I can't see how to turn this behaviour off. The screen saver is NOT
> set to lock the screen. I can't see any options set in /etc/gdm3
> anywhere that might cause me to get logged off after a timeout.
>
> I am sure there is a configuration controlling this somewhere. Can
> anyone point me to it.

My first suspicion would be a crash of the X server with a subsequent
automatic restart of gdm. Do you see signs of an X server restart or
anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog? Does your screensaver of
choice use fancy accelerated graphics which could trigger bugs in your
video driver that crash the X server?

--
Regards, |
Florian |

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Do you see signs of an X server restart or
> anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog?

See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.

Bob
From: Alan Chandler on
On 14/07/10 17:25, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> Do you see signs of an X server restart or
>> anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog?
>
> See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.
>
> Bob

Nothing in either of these files this morning - but I just booted up and
didn't have any problems since the last time I booted. Thanks for the
heads up though,I will check them out if it happens again.

On 15/07/10 07:28, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 14/07/10 17:25, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>>> Do you see signs of an X server restart or
>>> anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
>>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog?
>>
>> See also the ~/.xsesssion-errors file.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Nothing in either of these files this morning - but I just booted up and
> didn't have any problems since the last time I booted. Thanks for the
> heads up though,I will check them out if it happens again.

It has happened again whilst I was having lunch today. System had been
idle for about 4 hours and when I came back to it I had been logged out.
Only 15 minutes ago (so it had worked perfectly up until then) it
created an /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file with ...

Fatal server error:
Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
informati
on.

(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Sleep Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Logitech Logitech Illuminated Keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Logitech Logitech Illuminated Keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch