From: Jen on
Hi,

My name is Jen, and I'm new to the list. I've been playing with Linux on and off for about a year, but have only recently found a distro that meets my accessibility needs (Debian unstable). It's also a great learning tool :P

I need to build some packages from source, and I need kernel headers to do it. I can't find the headers I need, when I try to install them in the conventional way I get the error 'package not found'.

An 'apt-cache search' finds nothing. Can someone please tell me where to get the kernel headers for 2.6.32-trunk-686, and how I install them?

Thanks in advance.

Jen!

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4959 (20100319) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Chris Jackson on
Jen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Jen, and I'm new to the list. I've been playing with Linux on and off for about a year, but have only recently found a distro that meets my accessibility needs (Debian unstable). It's also a great learning tool :P
>
> I need to build some packages from source, and I need kernel headers to do it. I can't find the headers I need, when I try to install them in the conventional way I get the error 'package not found'.
>
> An 'apt-cache search' finds nothing. Can someone please tell me where to get the kernel headers for 2.6.32-trunk-686, and how I install them?

The linux headers are in /usr/include/linux, so:

apt-file search /usr/include/linux

(you might need to install apt-file) - and that reveals they're in
linux-libc-dev.

You might want to think about installing build-essential, which pulls in
the headers and a number of other useful things for building source
packages.

--
Chris Jackson
Shadowcat Systems Ltd.

On 2010-03-19 16:46, Jen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Jen, and I'm new to the list. I've been playing with Linux on
> and off for about a year, but have only recently found a distro that
> meets my accessibility needs (Debian unstable). It's also a great
> learning tool :P
>
> I need to build some packages from source, and I need kernel headers to
> do it. I can't find the headers I need, when I try to install them in
> the conventional way I get the error 'package not found'.
>
> An 'apt-cache search' finds nothing. Can someone please tell me where to
> get the kernel headers for 2.6.32-trunk-686, and how I install them?

Where does 2.6.32-trunk-686 come from? Definitely not Unstable!

$ apt-cache search 2.6.32-trunk-686
$

You might want to install linux-image-2.6.32-4-686 (or the -bigmem
variant dependent on your RAM size).

> Thanks in advance.

apt-cache search kernel headers | grep headers | grep 32

So, I'd install linux-image-2.6.32-4-686{-bigmem} and
linux-headers-2.6.32-4-686{-bigmem}.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:46:55 -0400 (EDT), Jen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Jen, and I'm new to the list. I've been playing with
> Linux on and off for about a year, but have only recently found a
> distro that meets my accessibility needs (Debian unstable). It's
> also a great learning tool :P
>
> I need to build some packages from source, and I need kernel
> headers to do it. I can't find the headers I need, when I try to
> install them in the conventional way I get the error 'package not
> found'.
>
> An 'apt-cache search' finds nothing. Can someone please tell me
> where to get the kernel headers for 2.6.32-trunk-686, and how I
> install them?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jen!

Hi, Jen. Since you're new, here's a little something to get you
started on the right foot, in case you haven't seen this.

In addition to the offical rules, there are a couple of unofficial
rules:

1. Don't "top post": use the usenet style of quoting
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting)

2. Trim your posts (also covered in the above article)

Now, about your original question, the 2.6.32-trunk kernels have
recently been obsoleted. You should use the 2.6.32-3 kernels (and
their headers) instead.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :