From: Tzafrir Cohen on
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:41:24PM +0000, Frederic Robert wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 08:34:29AM -0400, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> > If you are running stable, you need to install the pidgin from
> > lenny-backports in order to get MSN support. Instructions on setting up
> > and installing from backports here:
> > http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
>
> I only use main repository. Why is not available by default?

It is. Though IIRC the protocol has been broken a bit since.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir(a)jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 14:21 +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:41:24PM +0000, Frederic Robert wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 08:34:29AM -0400, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> > > If you are running stable, you need to install the pidgin from
> > > lenny-backports in order to get MSN support. Instructions on setting up
> > > and installing from backports here:
> > > http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
> >
> > I only use main repository. Why is not available by default?
>
> It is. Though IIRC the protocol has been broken a bit since.

That's right. I had to move to either kopete or pidgin (or both, I
forget now)from backports after some changes to the protocol after the
release of lenny. It did work fine at the time of release.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:41:24PM +0000, Frederic Robert wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 08:34:29AM -0400, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> > If you are running stable, you need to install the pidgin from
> > lenny-backports in order to get MSN support. Instructions on setting up
> > and installing from backports here:
> > http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
>
> I only use main repository. Why is not available by default?

Pidgin from Lenny was working fine untill MS changed the protocol.

DSA-2038-1 states:
"Since a few months, Microsoft's servers for MSN have changed the protocol,
making Pidgin non-functional for use with MSN. It is not feasible to port
these changes to the version of Pidgin in Debian Lenny. This update
formalises that situation by disabling the protocol in the client. Users
of the MSN protocol are advised to use the version of Pidgin in the
repositories of www.backports.org."