From: Marc Shapiro on
There has been a lot of talk about lilo and squeeze on the list lately, but I don't really want to get into that argument. I have been using lilo for a dozen years, since I started using linux. I am comfortable with lilo.conf. I have never bothered to figure out grub's menu.lst and I certainly don't understand grub2's grub.cfg.

I installed Eeebuntu on my eeepc when I got it. It was using grub. I have since installed Squeeze, since I am happier with pure Debian. That install uses grub2. I would like to continue using lilo.

Now, lilo is still avaiilable in Squeeze, so I installed it and ran liloconfig. This resulted in an error saying that the root device might be a raid, or some other configuration that liloconfig could not handle, and that I should write my own lilo,conf. OK. I can do that. Having done so, however, and then running lilo, I get the following error:

# lilo
Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
Fatal: raid_setup: stat("UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77")

I have never used a raid setup and there is nothing special about this configuration. My lilo.conf is as follows:

# /etc/lilo.conf

boot="UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77"
vga=normal
compact
prompt
timeout=100
default=Squeeze

# To use the new LILO boot menu, add the following
bitmap=/boot/debian.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=bmp

# install=menu
map=/boot/map

image=/vmlinuz
root=/dev/sda11
initrd=/initrd.img
label=Squeeze
read-only

image=/vmlinuz
root=/dev/sda3
initrd=/initrd.img
label=Eeebuntu
read-only

image=/boot/memtest86+.bin
root=/dev/sda3
label=Memtest86+

other=/dev/sda1
label=Windows

#### End of lilo.conf ######

Can anyone tell me what is causing this? I have never had problems with lilo, before. It always 'just works'.

I am assuming, since lilo never actually completed, that my MBR is unaffected and I can still power down and reboot with the existing grub setup, but it would be nice to have some assurances.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42(a)yahoo.com

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:04:51 -0400 (EDT), Marc Shapiro wrote:
> My lilo.conf is as follows:
>
> # /etc/lilo.conf
>
> boot="UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77"
>
> Can anyone tell me what is causing this?
> I have never had problems with lilo, before. It always 'just works'.

Marc,

lilo does not support the specification of the boot device using UUIDs.
The traditional /dev nomenclature must be used. For example,

boot=/dev/sda

The same goes for the "root" specification. This can be a problem if you
want to boot back and forth between two kernels, one of which treats
the devices as traditional IDE (/dev/hda) and the other of which
treats the devices as SCSI emulation (/dev/sda).

Let me warn you that the kernel maintainer scripts don't work with lilo
as well as they used to. For example, simply specifying

do_bootloader = yes

used to cause lilo to be run in the event of a new kernel install or
a kernel upgrade. That is no longer the case. I recommend that you
visit the following web site: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
Scroll down to "Step 10: customize the kernel installation process",
and read the stuff there. This web site is primarily for people who
want to build their own custom kernels, but much of the information in
step 10 is also applicable to people who only run stock kernels.
In particular, there is a section under "Customizing the Lenny Environment"
that specifically explains how to convert from grub-pc to lilo.
Yes, I know you are running Squeeze, not Lenny; but those instructions
will work with Squeeze too, provided you use only stock kernels.
If you want to roll your own kernel, you really should read the whole
document.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:07:53 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
> In particular, there is a section under "Customizing the Lenny Environment"
> that specifically explains how to convert from grub-pc to lilo.

Oops! That should read "convert from grub (version 1) to lilo". You'll
have to adapt the procedure slightly to convert from grub-pc to lilo.
For example, you'll have to purge different package names.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Hello,

At fist: I don't read list 'debian-user'. I am the new developer of lilo.
See: http://alioth.debian.org/projects/lilo/
and: http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/

> There has been a lot of talk about lilo and squeeze on the list lately,
> but I don't really want to get into that argument. I have been using lilo
> for a dozen years, since I started using linux. I am comfortable with
> lilo.conf. I have never bothered to figure out grub's menu.lst and I
> certainly don't understand grub2's grub.cfg.
>
> I installed Eeebuntu on my eeepc when I got it. It was using grub. I
> have since installed Squeeze, since I am happier with pure Debian. That
> install uses grub2. I would like to continue using lilo.

This is the same for me.

> Now, lilo is still avaiilable in Squeeze, so I installed it and ran
> liloconfig. This resulted in an error saying that the root device might
> be a raid, or some other configuration that liloconfig could not handle,

I see: liloconfig is to old for Squeeze. Thanks for this hint.
This script needs some work.

> and that I should write my own lilo,conf. OK. I can do that. Having
> done so, however, and then running lilo, I get the following error:
>
> # lilo
> Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
> Fatal: raid_setup: stat("UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77")

At first: set 'lba32' at the beginning of the lilo.conf.

> configuration. My lilo.conf is as follows:

Please set this lines as following:

#### use old device names, i. e.
#### (note: inside lilo works interally with VolumeID's)
boot=/dev/sda # or similar device
:
#### for each image another UUID, i. e.
# partition /dev/sda1
root="UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77"

To list all UUID's use the tool 'blkid' from the package e2fsprogs
(Lenny) or package util-linux (Squeeze).

> Can anyone tell me what is causing this? I have never had problems with
> lilo, before. It always 'just works'.

I hope this infos can help you.

Note: These config hints where tested with lilo version 22.8-8.1 (Squeeze)

Have a nice day,

Joachim (Germany)

From: Stephen Powell on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:56:01 -0400 (EDT), Joachim Wiedorn wrote:

> At fist: I don't read list 'debian-user'. I am the new developer of lilo.
> See: http://alioth.debian.org/projects/lilo/
> and: http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Marc Shapiro wrote:
>> There has been a lot of talk about lilo and squeeze on the list lately,
>> but I don't really want to get into that argument. I have been using lilo
>> for a dozen years, since I started using linux. I am comfortable with
>> lilo.conf. I have never bothered to figure out grub's menu.lst and I
>> certainly don't understand grub2's grub.cfg.
>>
>> I installed Eeebuntu on my eeepc when I got it. It was using grub. I
>> have since installed Squeeze, since I am happier with pure Debian. That
>> install uses grub2. I would like to continue using lilo.
>
> This is the same for me.
>
>> Now, lilo is still avaiilable in Squeeze, so I installed it and ran
>> liloconfig. This resulted in an error saying that the root device might
>> be a raid, or some other configuration that liloconfig could not handle,
>
> I see: liloconfig is to old for Squeeze. Thanks for this hint.
> This script needs some work.
>>
>> and that I should write my own lilo,conf. OK. I can do that. Having
>> done so, however, and then running lilo, I get the following error:
>>
>> # lilo
>> Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
>> Fatal: raid_setup: stat("UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77")
>
> At first: set 'lba32' at the beginning of the lilo.conf.
>
>> configuration. My lilo.conf is as follows:
>
> Please set this lines as following:
>
> #### use old device names, i. e.
> #### (note: inside lilo works interally with VolumeID's)
> boot=/dev/sda # or similar device
> :
> #### for each image another UUID, i. e.
> # partition /dev/sda1
> root="UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77"

So, you're saying that UUIDs are supported for root, but not for boot.

That means that you can boot either kernel (2.6.32-3 or 2.6.32-5),
but running lilo's map installer will fail if you use

boot=/dev/sda on the 2.6.32-3 kernel and it will fail if you
use boot=/dev/hda on the 2.6.32-5 kernel, right?

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :