From: Tom H on
> MS-Windows used to have an undocumented switch "fdisk /mbr" which would
> remap the MBR and erase any copy of lilo or grub present.  I don't know if
> they still have that option.

Undocumented?

The command above works pre-XP.

For XP, it is fixmbr and/or fixboot..

For Vista and Seven, it is bootrec /fixmbr and/or bootrec /rebuildbcd.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:49:55 -0500 (EST), Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:40:14 -0500 (EST), Robert Brockway wrote:
>> MS-Windows used to have an undocumented switch "fdisk /mbr" which would
>> remap the MBR and erase any copy of lilo or grub present.  I don't know if
>> they still have that option.
>
> Undocumented?
>
> The command above works pre-XP.
>
> For XP, it is fixmbr and/or fixboot..
>
> For Vista and Seven, it is bootrec /fixmbr and/or bootrec /rebuildbcd.

Thank you! I'm going to be needing that information soon to re-install a DOS-style
master boot record on a number of machines and move lilo to the boot sector
for the /boot partition.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Tom H wrote:

>> MS-Windows used to have an undocumented switch "fdisk /mbr" which would
>> remap the MBR and erase any copy of lilo or grub present. �I don't know if
>> they still have that option.
>
> Undocumented?

Yes, it didn't appear in any of their regular help sources, at least not
back when I used to touch MS-Windows.

> The command above works pre-XP.
>
> For XP, it is fixmbr and/or fixboot..
>
> For Vista and Seven, it is bootrec /fixmbr and/or bootrec /rebuildbcd.

Ah excellent. I'll make a mental note.

Thanks,

Rob

--
Email: robert(a)timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver
From: Carlos E. Davila on
Thanks to all who have responded. I think the problem may be related to
an issue I had with grub in January (see
ddd4daee1001091255n7cfa4037l1663b317fdf09def(a)mail.gmail.com
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/01/msg00696.html>).

Running "apt-get install grub", created the /boot/grub/ directory and
the menu.lst file, (it may have overwritten /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc, as
well) but this evidently does not overwrite the boot sector, does
grub-install do this? I have yet to run grub-install. Of course, this
would not explain why my system still boots after deleting the vmlinuz
files.

The files in my /boot/ directory (before I deleted them...actually moved
them to my home directory for safe keeping) were:

default device.map menu.lst menu.lst~ menu.lst_backup

Should the grub image files be here as well? I have also tried pointing
grub to directories where I know the kernel images are and I get an
"Error 15".

cd

Carlos E. Davila wrote:
> [...] but this evidently does not overwrite the boot sector, does
> grub-install do this?

Yes.

> I have yet to run grub-install. Of course, this
> would not explain why my system still boots after deleting the vmlinuz
> files.

Did you evaluate our little theories? I imagine your first partition is
your /boot (the second beeing your volume group, right?). If the filesystem
on this first partition disappeared from your fstab for some reason, it
could explain everything.

# mount /dev/disk/by-id/$DISK-part1 /mnt
# tree /mnt

> The files in my /boot/ directory (before I deleted them...actually moved
> them to my home directory for safe keeping) were:
>
> default device.map menu.lst menu.lst~ menu.lst_backup

That would be /boot/grub.

> Should the grub image files be here as well?

Yep.

Anyway, I see you have lilo installed in your boot sector, were you
chainloading or is it recent?

-thib