From: Merciadri Luca on

On 2010-03-21 03:56, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that it is a well-known thing that some MTAs (if not all) take
> some time to start (at boot). But I sometimes need to wait ~30
> secs. with this output:
>
> ==
> Starting MTA:
> ==
>
> After this time, `exim4' is simply appended to this line. Does exim4
> really need so much time to launch/start? If so, why? I need it, and I
> cannot deactivate it, but this slows down my boot.

Is your MTA only doing local delivery or going out to the world?

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 08:56, Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that it is a well-known thing that some MTAs (if not all) take
> some time to start (at boot). But I sometimes need to wait ~30
> secs. with this output:
>
> ==
> Starting MTA:
> ==
>
> After this time, `exim4' is simply appended to this line. Does exim4
> really need so much time to launch/start? If so, why? I need it, and I
> cannot deactivate it, but this slows down my boot.

I'd do some searching [1] before going to the list. Slow boot and mta?
Most likely dns-related, check the configs for a wait parameter and/or
disable the MTA's dns or something.

HTH,
Nuno

() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

* 2010-03-21 09:56 (+0100), Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I think that it is a well-known thing that some MTAs (if not all) take
> some time to start (at boot).

> Does exim4 really need so much time to launch/start? If so, why? I
> need it, and I cannot deactivate it, but this slows down my boot.

I don't know answers to all your questions but sometimes I have had
similar problems. I fixed the slow startup by answering "Yes" to the
debconf question

Keep number of DNS-queries minimal (Dial-on-Demand)?

Run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" as root.

--
Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
them. I can't read all the list mail.