From: Brian on
I am trying to find a MIB to monitor AutoFS but everything I find is tied to the current pid AutoFS is running under which of course changes each time it is restarted making it useless as a monitoring metric.

Has anyone setup SNMP to monitor AutoFS or a similar type of daemon on a Debain system?

Thanks,

Brian

On 2010-03-23 09:00, Brian wrote:
> I am trying to find a MIB to monitor AutoFS but everything I find
> is tied to the current pid AutoFS is running under which of
> course changes each time it is restarted making it useless as a
> monitoring metric.

??? Isn't that a *good* thing?

I'd look at the "restart" section of the autofs startup script to
see if there's a way to "regenerate" the MIB when you restart autofs.

Maybe, though, that's too hackish.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

> I am trying to find a MIB to monitor AutoFS but everything I
> find is tied to the current pid AutoFS is running under which
> of course changes each time it is restarted making it useless
> as a monitoring metric.

I'm not familiar with autofs but if you do a snmpwalk for OID
..1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1, you will find a listing of all the mounted
partitions, maybe instead of monitoring autofs, monitor the existence of
a specific partition instead? I assume that's why you'd want to monitor
autofs in the first place anyways.

James

> > I am trying to find a MIB to monitor AutoFS but
> everything I find
> > is tied to the current pid AutoFS is running under
> which of
> > course changes each time it is restarted making it
> useless as a
> > monitoring metric.
>
> ???  Isn't that a *good* thing?
>
> I'd look at the "restart" section of the autofs startup
> script to see if there's a way to "regenerate" the MIB when
> you restart autofs.
>
> Maybe, though, that's too hackish.

I am sure it is a *good* thing security wise but it seems to be hampering usability at the moment.

I don't think you can rewrite a MIB on the fly. I am no expert but I think they are written as products are developed then distributed as a support service.

I am curious though, it there a way to force a daemon to take a specific pid at startup?

Thanks, Brian

> > I am trying to find a MIB to monitor AutoFS but
> everything I
> > find is tied to the current pid AutoFS is running
> under which
> > of course changes each time it is restarted making it
> useless
> > as a monitoring metric.
>
> I'm not familiar with autofs but if you do a snmpwalk for
> OID
> .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1, you will find a listing of all the
> mounted
> partitions, maybe instead of monitoring autofs, monitor the
> existence of
> a specific partition instead? I assume that's why you'd
> want to monitor
> autofs in the first place anyways.
>
> James

We are using autofs to mount cdrom and dvd iso images. There are nearly 100 of them. Too many to really monitor individually so we wanted to just monitor autofs. It looks to me like each auto.* file in /etc spawns it's own process and pid. And the pid changes each time the daemon is restarted or the mount point expires and is then re-mounted. If we could just monitor the pid spawned by auto.master I think that would do it for us. I asked in another reply in this thread if a daemon could be assigned a pid but don't have a response yet.

Thanks, Brian