From: Klistvud on
Howdy, fellow Debianites!
Given some extra hard drive space, I decided to move my /tmp dir
(currently located under / ) to a partition of its own. I am looking
forward to any advice, particularly of the been-there-done-that type:
* how should I configure my fstab entry? How does Debian installer do
it?
* is there anything Debian-specific to watch for?
* is it true that setting /tmp permissions to non-executable, while
hardening your box, prevents apt from working properly?

--
TIA,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

On 05/23/2010 03:37 AM, Klistvud wrote:
> Howdy, fellow Debianites!
> Given some extra hard drive space, I decided to move my /tmp dir
> (currently located under / ) to a partition of its own. I am looking

Why?

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Dne, 23. 05. 2010 10:45:36 je Ron Johnson napisal(a):

> Why?

I frequently burn double-layer DVDs, requiring around 8GB of free space
for temporary files. Until now, I had to do that on another rig. Also,
I'm planning to do some video editing, which, I'm told, likewise
requires huge amounts of temporary space. On my / partition, I have
nowhere *near* that amount of free space.

--
Regards,

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:10:19AM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 23. 05. 2010 10:45:36 je Ron Johnson napisal(a):
> > Why?
> I frequently burn double-layer DVDs, requiring around 8GB of free space
> for temporary files. Until now, I had to do that on another rig. Also,
> I'm planning to do some video editing, which, I'm told, likewise
> requires huge amounts of temporary space. On my / partition, I have
> nowhere *near* that amount of free space.

IMHO, it is a good idea to implement LVM when possible.
In case you go on, I recently went through an actual BTDT situation:

Having /tmp mounted noexec,nosuid for security reasons, aptitude
failed to execute postinstall scripts.
The solution was to remount exec /tmp partition and rerun aptitude.
After that I had to add this to /etc/apt/apt.conf or under
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ (depends on your config)

DPkg::Pre-Invoke{"mount -o remount,exec /tmp";};
DPkg::Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount /tmp";};

Some useful references:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=16450

Regards.

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB
From: Chris Bannister on
On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:10:19AM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 23. 05. 2010 10:45:36 je Ron Johnson napisal(a):
> >
> >Why?
> >

> I frequently burn double-layer DVDs, requiring around 8GB of free
> space for temporary files. Until now, I had to do that on another
> rig. Also, I'm planning to do some video editing, which, I'm told,
> likewise requires huge amounts of temporary space. On my /
> partition, I have nowhere *near* that amount of free space.

Maybe there is an option in the config file of the application which you
use to burn DVDs that allows you to set the tmp dir?

-- Napoleon Bonaparte