From: Nairolf Relsserp on
Hi,

recently I set up a new server using Debian testing. When I tried adding a
new user a few days later, I noticed that it was impossible to set a
password for the user.

The error-message ist "System error" together with the information that the
password is unchanged.

root(a)fp:/home/airflow# adduser lorenz
Adding user `lorenz' ...
Adding new group `lorenz' (1001) ...
Adding new user `lorenz' (1001) with group `lorenz' ...
Creating home directory `/home/lorenz' ...
Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
passwd: System error
passwd: password unchanged
Try again? [y/N] y
passwd: System error
passwd: password unchanged
Try again? [y/N]
Changing the user information for lorenz
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
Full Name []:
Room Number []:
Work Phone []:
Home Phone []:
Other []:
Is the information correct? [Y/n]
root(a)fp:/home/airflow#

Then I found out that it's impossible for none of the existing users to
change their password, neither:

Here the output if the existing user "airflow" tries it himself:

airflow(a)fp:~$ passwd
Changing password for airflow.
(current) UNIX password:
passwd: System error
passwd: password unchanged

And also when root wants to set it for the same user:

root(a)fp:/home/airflow# passwd airflow
passwd: System error
passwd: password unchanged

I didn't find anything on the net. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Florian
From: Umarzuki Mochlis on
also, make sure output of lsattr as below (only a wild guess here)

# lsattr /usr/bin/passwd
------------------- /usr/bin/passwd

somebody/something might have done something to your system

--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my
From: Sjoerd Hardeman on
Nairolf Relsserp schreef:
> Hi,
>
> recently I set up a new server using Debian testing. When I tried adding
> a new user a few days later, I noticed that it was impossible to set a
> password for the user.
>
> The error-message ist "System error" together with the information that
> the password is unchanged.
>
> root(a)fp:/home/airflow# adduser lorenz
> Adding user `lorenz' ...
> Adding new group `lorenz' (1001) ...
> Adding new user `lorenz' (1001) with group `lorenz' ...
> Creating home directory `/home/lorenz' ...
> Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
> passwd: System error
> passwd: password unchanged
> Try again? [y/N] y
> passwd: System error
> passwd: password unchanged
> Try again? [y/N]
> Changing the user information for lorenz
> Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
> Full Name []:
> Room Number []:
> Work Phone []:
> Home Phone []:
> Other []:
> Is the information correct? [Y/n]
> root(a)fp:/home/airflow#
>
> Then I found out that it's impossible for none of the existing users to
> change their password, neither:
>
> Here the output if the existing user "airflow" tries it himself:
>
> airflow(a)fp:~$ passwd
> Changing password for airflow.
> (current) UNIX password:
> passwd: System error
> passwd: password unchanged
>
> And also when root wants to set it for the same user:
>
> root(a)fp:/home/airflow# passwd airflow
> passwd: System error
> passwd: password unchanged
>
> I didn't find anything on the net. Any ideas?
Can you post what's being written to /var/log/auth.log when you try to
change the password?

Sjoerd

From: Florian Pressler on
Hi there!

1) The output in /var/log/auth.log when I try changing the password is the
following:

Mar 22 13:24:48 fp passwd[2001]: pam_winbind(passwd:chauthtok): valid_user:
wbcGetpwnam gave WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND

2) The output of lsattr /usr/bin/passwd is the following:

airflow(a)fp:/$ lsattr /usr/bin/passwd
Florian Pressler schreef:
> Hi there!
>
> 1) The output in /var/log/auth.log when I try changing the password is the
> following:
>
> Mar 22 13:24:48 fp passwd[2001]: pam_winbind(passwd:chauthtok): valid_user:
> wbcGetpwnam gave WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
So you're trying to authenticate against a windows domain controller. Is
that indeed your setup?

> 2) The output of lsattr /usr/bin/passwd is the following:
>
> airflow(a)fp:/$ lsattr /usr/bin/passwd
> ------------------- /usr/bin/passwd
That doesn't look strange.

Sjoerd
PS. I'm on the list, you don't need to send the mail to my address as well.