From: C''est bien moi on
Hello,

Is that the article, below, from Microsoft is true even if the disks are on
a SAN ? I ask that because of the word "computer" in the following sentence:
"The disk defragmentation process rearranges the data that is stored on the
computer's hard disks so that the files are more contiguous"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328804/en-us

What I understood is with a physical disk that maintains 64 sectors per
track, Windows always creates the partition starting at the sixty-forth
sector, therefore misaligning it with the underlying physical disk. To be
certain of disk alignment, we use "Diskpart" to partition tool.
Exchange Server 2003 writes data in multiples of 4 KB I/O operations (4 KB
for the databases). Therefore, the starting offset is a multiple of 4 KB.
Failure to do so may cause a single I/O operation spanning two tracks,
causing performance degradation.
This means that a single I/O operation does not spanned on 2 tracks. During
the defragmentation copies database records to a new database. The disk
defragmentation process rearranges the data so that the files are more
contiguous.

Thanks in advance for the reply.
From: M on
Hello:

The best thing is to check with your SAN vendor about that. Each SAN is
implemented differently and abstracts the underlying disks so you never
really access the "raw" disks. The MS article is very general and cannot
possibly cover ever different disk or SAN configuration. Also, what you
mentioned about sector alignment might not be necessary because the SAN
presents the disks as LUNs, so you need to be careful with doing that on a
SAN. Again, check with your SAN vendor.

My suggestion to any sys admin who uses a SAN is to check with your SAN
vendor first and use the SAN vendor's best practices. These articles from MS
and others, unless specifically stated, assume that you're using direct
attached disks, so you can't take everything and apply it directly to a SAN.

--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:09:20 -0400, "M" <m(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>
>The best thing is to check with your SAN vendor about that. Each SAN is
>implemented differently and abstracts the underlying disks so you never
>really access the "raw" disks. The MS article is very general and cannot
>possibly cover ever different disk or SAN configuration. Also, what you
>mentioned about sector alignment might not be necessary because the SAN
>presents the disks as LUNs, so you need to be careful with doing that on a
>SAN. Again, check with your SAN vendor.
>
>My suggestion to any sys admin who uses a SAN is to check with your SAN
>vendor first and use the SAN vendor's best practices. These articles from MS
>and others, unless specifically stated, assume that you're using direct
>attached disks, so you can't take everything and apply it directly to a SAN.

Correct.
Almost certainly your SAN team will go ballistic the second you
mention it to them. Microsoft suggest you don't do it in the first
place and move all the mailboxes to a new store instead.
If you try and do the offline defrag on SAN based disk or disk that is
protected by (say) Doubletake or MS DPM for that matter, you're going
to touch blocks. Touching blocks will be catastrophic for your
snapshots.
So essentially the advice is that it's not a good idea to do under any
circumstances for 2007/2010 dbs because they're protected using VSS
and a very bad idea for a 2003 environment on a SAN.