From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-06 20:52, Mark wrote:
> Bringing this thread to a close as I'm the OP:
>
> 1) Thanks to the people who actually provided help.
>
> 2) To the others, isn't one of the purposes of Linux to allow us to do
> what we want, how we want, when we want? I have a preference to blank
> hdd sectors with zeros before doing a new OS installation; I've done it
> for years with DBAN, etc., on various operating systems. If you think
> it's pointless, senseless or whatever else, fine, but FWIW, on the 20 GB
> partition, it took all of 5 minutes using the dd command from an Ubuntu
> Live CD. FIVE MINUTES. And I know the hdd is good as new and ready to
> accept fresh data.
>
> 3) For anyone else who wants to do it, I wound up doing two things:
> blanking the MBR with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1" and
> the hdd partition with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=1M".
>
> Now, go ahead and judge me for blanking the MBR even though the
> installation went perfectly and the MBR blank took less than 1 second. :)

We're allowed to question *spurious* justifications. If you'd have
said "for privacy concerns" instead of fear of "ghost/residual
files", the response would have been markedly different.

Maybe you really meant "privacy" when you wrote "ghost files", but
we, or -- more specifically, I -- can not know your inner thoughts.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

>On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
[snip]

> >We're allowed to question *spurious* justifications. If you'd have said
> "for privacy concerns" instead of fear of "ghost/residual files", the
> response would have been markedly different.

Interesting, so what is the difference in terms? Wouldn't the privacy
concerns be from residual files?

Mark
From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-06 22:10, Mark wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net
> <mailto:ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net>> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >We're allowed to question *spurious* justifications. If you'd
> have said "for privacy concerns" instead of fear of "ghost/residual
> files", the response would have been markedly different.
> >

> Interesting, so what is the difference in terms? Wouldn't the privacy
> concerns be from residual files?

Yes, but... residual *files* just DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE after a mkfs.

What *can* exist, maybe, are residual *fragments* (blocks or
sectors, since the original inodes and index structures were wiped
away by the mkfs) which a clever forensic technician could maybe
piece back together,

So, zeroing out the partition is a reasonable operation for a /home
or /data partition (where you'd keep sensitive data), but not for
something as mundane as an OS-only / partition.

BTW, I like having a separate /data (or whatever you all it)
partition, and recommend that you also having a separate /home.

On 03/07/2010 04:23 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> What *can* exist, maybe, are residual *fragments* (blocks or
> sectors, since the original inodes and index structures were wiped
> away by the mkfs) which a clever forensic technician could maybe
> piece back together,
>
> So, zeroing out the partition is a reasonable operation for a /home
> or /data partition (where you'd keep sensitive data), but not for
> something as mundane as an OS-only / partition.

However, I was under the impression that the OP wanted to zero a disk he
already owns and intend to continue owning.

I'd definitely zero (or write random bytes) a disk that I'd give or
sell, but if I wanted just to clear the disk for my own use, I don't
think I need to protect my confidential stuff from myself.

--
/* now make a new head in the exact same spot */
-- Larry Wall in cons.c from the perl source code

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

Just to drop my two cents, since no one did before:
Merely zeroing is not enough [1].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence