From: elfields on
Hi! The following 2 posts (pages) contain my name. Can you please remove them or make them unsearchable? I was involved in this over 12 years ago when I didn't know better. I am now a business woman and it's embarrassing.

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user(a)lists.debian.org/msg195824.html

Thanks!

Ellen Fields-Sischka
From: papul on
On 05/29/2010 08:18 AM, elfields(a)aol.com wrote:
> Hi! The following 2 posts (pages) contain my name. Can you please remove them or make them unsearchable? I was involved in this over 12 years ago when I didn't know better. I am now a business woman and it's embarrassing.

> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user(a)lists.debian.org/msg195824.html
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ellen Fields-Sischka
> Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

LOL you did a very bad thing posting about that again. People must have
forgotten about it. But now you took the matter up again

> elfields(a)aol.com :
>Hi! The following 2 posts (pages) contain my name. Can you please
>remove them or make them unsearchable? I was involved in this over 12
>years ago when I didn't know better. I am now a business woman and
>it's embarrassing.
>http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/1998/08/msg00568.html
>http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user(a)lists.debian.org/msg195824.html

You are a business woman AND "you know more", now. You should then know
it's useless to try to erase such message.

By mentionning those, you increased the backlinks to them and gave more
importance to them.

Finally, I dont think you really "know more", at this moment...

+261 3456 000 19

On Monday 31 May 2010 03:07:05 Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> > elfields(a)aol.com :
> >Hi! The following 2 posts (pages) contain my name. Can you please
> >remove them or make them unsearchable?
> >http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/1998/08/msg00568.html
> >http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user(a)lists.debian.org/msg195824.html
>
> You should know
> it's useless to try to erase such message.

I thought SPAM like that was removed from lists.debian.org on request. Should
be as simple as contacting the archive maintainers -- listarchives(a)debian.org.

www.mail-archive.com is not within the control of Debian, though; you'd have
to contact them directly to see if they can remove it.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Andrew M.A. Cater on
On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 01:14:04PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 31 May 2010 03:07:05 Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> > > elfields(a)aol.com :
> > >Hi! The following 2 posts (pages) contain my name. Can you please
> > >remove them or make them unsearchable?
> > >http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/1998/08/msg00568.html
> > >http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user(a)lists.debian.org/msg195824.html
> >
> > You should know
> > it's useless to try to erase such message.
>
> I thought SPAM like that was removed from lists.debian.org on request. Should
> be as simple as contacting the archive maintainers -- listarchives(a)debian.org.
>
> www.mail-archive.com is not within the control of Debian, though; you'd have
> to contact them directly to see if they can remove it.
> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
> bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
> http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/

On request, Debian can remove spam. 12 year old spam? Already indexed in Google / on the Wayback machine ... every
mail archiver there ever was.

In this instance, as outlined in another email, this lady has compounded the problem because her particular name
is unusual - Google for it now and the results asking for removal of embarassing stuff are #2 and #3.

Moral: don't write anything in haste or that you'd be averse to someone quoting against you in later years.

A very wise barrister once advised - "Don't put anything into writing that you wouldn't be prepared to see used
directly agianst you in a court of law" Possibly a little excessively dramatic but still excellent advice :)

AndyC