From: Michael Goetze on
Hi,

I've struggled with this issue for hours and gotten no help from
Manpages, nor IRC. So if someone could help me and CC me on their reply
(as I am not subscribed), I would be very grateful.

I am running a Debian Squeeze system. I want to install selected
packages from debian-multimedia and grml on it. Furthermore, I don't
trust Opera Software ASA completely, and therefore want to make sure no
packages of theirs are installed over packages available from anywhere
else. As a secondary goal, I want to use my ISP's mirror whereever
possible, to avoid unnecessary internet traffic. Allow me to post my
attempts to configure this:

=== Begin /etc/apt/sources.list ===
deb http://mirror.netcologne.de/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.netcologne.de/debian sid main
deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ squeeze non-free
deb http://mirror.netcologne.de/debian-multimedia.org squeeze main
deb http://mirror.netcologne.de/www.grml.org/deb.grml.org/ grml-testing main
=== End /etc/apt/sources.list ===
=== Begin /etc/apt/preferences ===
Package: *
Pin: release o=The grml project
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: origin deb.opera.com
Pin-Priority: 300
=== End /etc/apt/preferences ===
=== Begin output of apt-cache policy ===
Package files:
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
release a=now
400 http://mirror.netcologne.de grml-testing/main Packages
release o=The grml project,a=grml-testing,n=grml-testing,l=grml,c=main
origin mirror.netcologne.de
500 http://mirror.netcologne.de squeeze/main Translation-en_US
990 http://mirror.netcologne.de squeeze/main Packages
release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia
Packages,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
origin mirror.netcologne.de
990 http://deb.opera.com squeeze/non-free Packages
release o=Opera Software ASA,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=The Opera web
browser,c=non-free
origin deb.opera.com
500 http://mirror.netcologne.de sid/main Packages
release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=main
origin mirror.netcologne.de
990 http://mirror.netcologne.de squeeze/non-free Packages
release o=Debian,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=non-free
origin mirror.netcologne.de
990 http://mirror.netcologne.de squeeze/contrib Packages
release o=Debian,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=contrib
origin mirror.netcologne.de
990 http://mirror.netcologne.de squeeze/main Packages
release o=Debian,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=Debian,c=main
origin mirror.netcologne.de
Pinned packages:
=== End output of apt-cache policy ===

As you can see, I failed miserably. The very same method that works fine
for the grml packages, fails for the debian-multimedia packages. I have
also tried "l=" instead of "o=", as well as copy&pasting the complete
release line from the output of apt-cache policy. I have tried using
double quote characters. I have tried changing the order of grml and
debian-multimedia in the preferences file. I have run aptitude update or
apt-get update after every change. Nothing works.

For Opera, I have not invested quite as much effort, especially since I
specifically want the "origin" feature, not the "release" feature, to
work here; however, "release o=Opera Software ASA" also does not work,
nor does adding double-quotes around "deb.opera.com".

So if anyone understands APT pinning... please help me!

Regards,
Michael

PS Again, please CC me, I am not subscribed to this list.

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 14:41:00 Michael Goetze wrote:
> I've struggled with this issue for hours and gotten no help from
> Manpages, nor IRC. So if someone could help me and CC me on their reply
> (as I am not subscribed), I would be very grateful.

Try here: http://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences
And then review my personal setup: http://iguanasuicide.net/node/4

(apt-cache policy) is good for reviewing your active pinning and gives some
information you might find useful for writing the best "Pin:" line.

(apt-cache policy $package) is also good for individual packages.

Any specific questions after that, you can contact me via PM and I also watch
the list.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Javier Barroso on
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Michael Goetze <mgoetze(a)mgoetze.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've struggled with this issue for hours and gotten no help from Manpages,
> nor IRC. So if someone could help me and CC me on their reply (as I am not
> subscribed), I would be very grateful.
>
> I am running a Debian Squeeze system. I want to install selected packages
> from debian-multimedia and grml on it. Furthermore, I don't trust Opera
> Software ASA completely, and therefore want to make sure no packages of
> theirs are installed over packages available from anywhere else. As a
> secondary goal, I want to use my ISP's mirror whereever possible, to avoid
> unnecessary internet traffic. Allow me to post my attempts to configure
> this:
>
> === Begin /etc/apt/sources.list ===
> deb http://mirror.netcologne.de/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
> deb http://mirror.netcologne.de/debian sid main
> deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ squeeze non-free
> deb http://mirror.netcologne.de/debian-multimedia.org squeeze main
> deb http://mirror.netcologne.de/www.grml.org/deb.grml.org/ grml-testing main
> === End /etc/apt/sources.list ===
> === Begin /etc/apt/preferences ===
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=The grml project
> Pin-Priority: 400
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
Does help Pin: release o=Unofficial* ?

I don't sure, maybe this is a space character issue ? Did you test with quotes ?

Regards,

Hi Javier,

Unfortunately, the suggested line doesn't help. As I already wrote:

> I have also tried "l=" instead of "o=", as well as copy&pasting the
> complete release line from the output of apt-cache policy. I have
> tried using double quote characters.

Regards,
Michael

PS Please CC me on replies...

In <4B60A4DC.2030405(a)mgoetze.net>, Michael Goetze wrote:
>I've struggled with this issue for hours and gotten no help from
>Manpages, nor IRC. So if someone could help me and CC me on their reply
>(as I am not subscribed), I would be very grateful.
>
>=== Begin /etc/apt/preferences ===
[...]
>Package: *
>Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
>Pin-Priority: 400
>
>Package: *
>Pin: origin deb.opera.com
>Pin-Priority: 300
>=== End /etc/apt/preferences ===
>=== Begin output of apt-cache policy ===
>Package files:
[...]
> 990 http://mirror.netcologne.de squeeze/main Packages
> release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia
>Packages,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
> origin mirror.netcologne.de
> 990 http://deb.opera.com squeeze/non-free Packages
> release o=Opera Software ASA,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=The Opera web
>browser,c=non-free
> origin deb.opera.com
[...]
>=== End output of apt-cache policy ===
>
>As you can see, I failed miserably. The very same method that works fine
>for the grml packages, fails for the debian-multimedia packages. I have
>also tried "l=" instead of "o=", as well as copy&pasting the complete
>release line from the output of apt-cache policy. I have tried using
>double quote characters. I have tried changing the order of grml and
>debian-multimedia in the preferences file. I have run aptitude update or
>apt-get update after every change. Nothing works.

>For Opera, I have not invested quite as much effort, especially since I
>specifically want the "origin" feature, not the "release" feature, to
>work here; however, "release o=Opera Software ASA" also does not work,
>nor does adding double-quotes around "deb.opera.com".

I think in both these cases you are being bit by having APT::Default-Release
"testing" in /etc/apt/apt.conf(.d). The relevant quote from man 5
apt_preferences is "The target release can be set on the apt-get command line
or in the APT configuration file /etc/apt/apt.conf. Note that this has
precedence over any general priority you set in the /etc/apt/preferences file
described later, but not over specifically pinned packages."

Both the repositories you are having problems with use "a=testing" as part of
their release.