From: tsr on
Hi,

So, I want to completely reinstall the OS:es on my main computer and I
would like you to review and comment on the idea outlined below.

(I've used Ubuntu before but I find that it moves too quickly and is not
as stable as I remember debian from before, plus I like the debian
philosophy more)

I have a pretty clear picture of what I want to accomplish, but I know
almost nothing of these things and the information I've found[1] is
written like I already know some things.

What I am asking for is both critique on the idea itself and information
on how to accomplish it.

My plan:
- Partitions (160GB disk):
- (10-20GB?) bare minimum for OSX (firmware upgrades, efi)
- (30-40GB) base debian system incl. /home/*
- (100GB) public media files
- (10GB) encrypted partition for my home.
- Users:
- me, with sudo and the encrypted home with extra password to
unencrypt.
- others, with the following capabilities:
- passwordless login (with 3 possible locales)
- connect to internet (wifi/lan)
- run iceweasel
- play music and movies from the public media library
- play a selection of games
- run a terminal with ssh (for my cli-enabled-friends)
- run OO and use the printer
- no ability whatsoever to tamper with the rest
- auto-logout after 30 min inactivity
- cleaning up on logout - browser, document history, high-scores...
- Other stuff:
- I want the ability to easily switch 'modes'
(I am not very organized and I tend to mess things up so I want these
to be clearly separated but also easily switchable, therefor I've
thought of using virtualization - but I'm not sure if it is the right
way to go. It is important for me to have a 'clean' base install but
still being able to install lots of random stuff when I want that can
easily be purged)
- day to day desktop (mail, browser, text, calendar, etc)
- LAMP-hacking
- other web-hacking (with other instance of apache)
- general hacking (python, ruby, gtk

Slightly specific questions:
- guest user
- how do I set-up the guest user?
- umask 027, and the chmodding the neccessary? but how do I access
everything?
- 'modes'
- is virtualization for me or are there other/simpler ways of
achieving what I want? (with regards to my 'modes')
- if virtualization is the way, where do I make space for the images
(is that even the correct term)?

Hopefully,
tsr

ps. I'm not a member on the list but I will check out the archives, so
no need to cc me.

Hi there,

>My plan:
>- Partitions (160GB disk):
> - (10-20GB?) bare minimum for OSX >(firmware upgrades, efi)
> - (30-40GB) base debian system incl. />home/*
> - (100GB) public media files
> - (10GB) encrypted partition for my >home.

If you want to install OS X then I suppose you are doing it on an Apple computer?

Well, if I'm you I'll opt for more gigs on the OS X partition; you'll need it. (Just a suggestion, don't heed it if you don't like it).

All in all, the partition scheme seems to have been pretty well-thought.

>- passwordless login (with 3 possible locales)

If what you mean is automatic login, fire up gdmsetup after debian is installed. Otherwise you'll have to wait for others to reply, cause I'm not knowledgeable in this.. :(

Regards,
RJB