From: Matthew Glubb on
Hi Alan,

On 20 Jul 2010, at 12:52, Alan Chandler wrote:

> Lets take this back to the list - not keep it between us - and I am subscribed to the list so no need to copy me.

Ah. Sorry. I didn't realise I had only mailed you directly.

> I don't know. When I have had a problem before, I have just repartioned the old/new device and add these partitions using mdadm
>
> It then syncs up (albeit over several hours).
>
> I don't format it or put filesystems on it - which I think your original mail mentioned.

Yep. That's basically what I do but I partition the disk and format the partitions for Linux raid autodetect and set one of the partitions as bootable. Then, as you say, I just add them using mdadm.

I've resorted to reproducing my setup using vmware and seeing if I can reproduce the problem that way. Hopefully it will help shine some light on the issue.

Thanks very much for your time,

Matt